Inspiration from Dave Cherry and Larry Brand

David Kilnapp

Friends:  I have long admired Dave Cherry's artistic eye for creating lovely settings for his fans. Larry Brand sent me this picture which is also very attractive:

2029569874_Branddisplay.thumb.jpg.e93a10301418161db8c54a5238eb5d09.jpg

With both gentlemen to inspire me, I found a little box (seems quite old) on eBay for $41. It arrived yesterday. It was quite rickety and fragile so I applied some glue, here and there, and clamped it to improve the structural integrity.  It was just the right size to house a six volt commercial battery, the DRoc buck converter and a push button switch (so that the buck converter doesn't drain the battery by being constantly on). It may not be as nice as Dave's or Larry's settings, but it certainly cleaned up the arrangement. What do you think?

IMG_4472.thumb.JPG.159a856c25b58125ae6fd3b468fa56f3.JPG

IMG_4473.thumb.JPG.3a17515734ee76737ed53d581b4cc9bd.JPG

Thank you to both Dave and Larry for their inspiration and creativity. What fun!

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 11

Looks great…. I like the idea of the rechargeable instead of regular… way, better idea… this box started out as a telephone ringer and then I cut it down.. 

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0954.jpeg

IMG_0953.jpeg

• Like 4

Dave:  I can only aspire to your artistic eye and talent. This little telephone ringer box is fantastic. There's one just like yours on eBay with these posts which I think I'll buy.

Posts.jpg.e5b57beecc77b9c6c3cad77e0fe69452.jpg

Edited by David Kilnapp

Dave Cherry mentioned that his little box was a ringer box which he cut down so I took a look on eBay for something similar. I bought the box below for $53. Notice that it has the neat little power posts that I admired on Dave Cherry's box.

892478310_ringerbox.thumb.jpg.d78c7f6052d30ef4745228b3e57a4ab5.jpg

So I plan to transfer the battery, the droc buck converter and the little switch into this box (if they fit). I'll have to make a new structure for the push bottom switch out of MDF (which I have plenty of). I'll probably leave the bells on the outside of the box because I think they add some interest plus they probably cover some good size holes in the lid too. 

Dave's idea (not my idea) for using this little box is a winner in my book and for $53, you can't beat the authentic look. Of additional interest is that one of the parts on the inside of this box has a 1903 date imprinted on it so the box is certainly era appropriate to the Manhattan No. 3 fan. Thank you again to Dave Cherry for his innovative and creative ideas for displaying our wonderful fans!

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 1

Friends:  Louis Luu asked me for a schematic for the arrangement in the box which you see below.

IMG_4506.thumb.JPG.636f2c5a53010c7ed95b3e85064d9bf0.JPG

IMG_4505.thumb.JPG.ae6d9fd5eb566f8a2464208aadbb87c4.JPG

For those of you wishing to purchase the various parts (which are not at all expensive) for your battery fans, please find the information also below:

383810987_Duracellreplacementbatter.thumb.jpg.ad66e14243918f8e50f37232ac90fc0c.jpg1542353899_drokbuckconverter.thumb.jpg.a25bcfa231f98859e3e045d5ffcee2b7.jpg104273819_pushbuttonswitch.thumb.jpg.f9fef2624743e15b32d24fc19ee73c5c.jpg

The battery is rechargeable using the device below:

68785840_6Vcharger.thumb.jpg.aafb219e38c049bc2a2df93a15dd6233.jpg

I hope you find this information useful. I have yet to recharge either of my 6V batteries (used for the Manhattan No. 3 and the Edison bipolar fans) so the charge lasts a good long time.

IMG_4503.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes the drok converter is controlled by a little screwdriver on two little buttons on the bottom of the unit. Easy to use!! The voltage/amperage controls (two little screws) can be adjusted during operation to continuously change the voltage down or up to whatever one desires. For example, I have the drok converter set to 3.1 volts for my Edison bipolar and 4.4 volts for my Manhattan No. 3.

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 1

Hi David, I was wondering if that Droc Converter thing you have for your battery fans would work for powering old Farm Radios that ran off of the old "A" and "B" batteries? I'm asking because I have an old Farm Radio that I bought off of Facebook Marketplace a few years ago that I electrically restored and made some battery clips for it so that it would run off of a 2 "D" cell battery clip with rechargeable "D" batteries running at a 2.1 volts by means of a voltage dropping diode in series with the positive terminal on the battery clip (a single 1N4007 Diode) for the "A" battery (filiments) and 10 9V batteries connected in series and connected to a couple of alligator clips for the "B" battery (90V B+ Supply) but it would be nice to be able to power the radio off of something other than a bunch of batteries (especially the 9V Batteries which are rather pricey now.) 

Edited by Levi Mevis

Hi Levi. The drok only goes up to 32 volts or 33 volts so 90V would be too much for the converter to handle. I'd put that on the forum under "other". I know that there are members with extensive electrical knowledge who would give you good advice for doing what you want to do. Tom Newcity comes to mind. He's in the directory.

Update on my little project:  The little ringer box that I bought arrived today (see pictures below). I like this arrangement better than the previous box. I removed the apparatus inside the box that was used to make the bell ringer work and with a little work, inserted the push button switch where the bell ringer used to be. 

IMG_4535.thumb.JPG.d2664a60acc2ede00bd8dc4b209062bd.JPGIMG_4539.thumb.JPG.05b3e81761826aa4e6c9b2b59347df94.JPG

Here's the odd thing. Take a look at the ringer rod below. The date that is stamped on it is the same date as the manufacture of the Manhattan No. 3 fan (1903). Funny coincidence.

IMG_4537.thumb.JPG.b319c557ed2bf2703052adca8d8b2461.JPG

Below is the final arrangement which is more what I had in mind (thanks to Dave Cherry who directed me to where I could find telephone ringer boxes). Thanks Dave!

IMG_4538.thumb.JPG.7297474b3078bf365b438fa1e3b5da39.JPG

IMG_4536.JPG

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 2

David, you are absolutely right about when you remove the bells. There will be two giant holes.  That said I got a piece of quarter sawn wood and made my own lid. The box is made from quarter sawn white oak. Then I shorten the box so it wasn’t so tall.. then you will need some little brass hinges.. then you can set your fan directly on top. I got my little switch from a quackery box that was also off of eBay. I will look for a picture of one, so you can see what I’m talking about.

here’s a box, but rather expensive, but take it look at all the switches and the goodies.. I think I was lucky enough to find a horrible box that was all busted up but it had all the components still in it for like 20 bucks plus shipping.. I was probably one of the only people on the planet that was excited to find it.. it was a mess, but that’s what you wanna look for unless you’re in a hurry and have lots of money..https://www.ebay.com/itm/186165472262?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7nspMKC0QJ-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=KiVktUbCRJu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

anyway, your box with the bells look surprisingly good.. hell just leave it alone..

Edited by David A Cherry
  • Like 1