GE AOU V5 stator rewind

Troy Prochazka

I purchased a GE AOU V5 and restored everything. Last thing I did was ohm the stator and did not get continuity. The fan is in very good condition and the stator looked untouched.  I finally opened the tape and found that someone must have hooked it up wrong and shorted the stator and a few spots of the magnet wire burnt through.  I have done a ton of research here and have just enough knowledge to get myself in trouble.  

I counted the total turns and came up with 588. I have a continuous loop with 3 taps.  It is a 4 pole shaded motor with the speed taps in the stator winding.  It was a little tough to figure out exactly where the taps are with the wire burnt in a few areas.  I am pretty sure it is 26 or 27 guage wire for 450 turns then 28 or 29 guage for another approx 150 turns.  The first wire is the start of the 26 or 27 guage then the second tap is where the 26 and 28 connect then the 3rd is in somewhere in the last 150 turns of 28 and then the last is the end of the 28.  

I want to use it on my desk and would like a very low breeze so I can talk on the phone at work.  If I just used 29 guage and wound it with 900 turns and tapped it at 600 750 and 900 I believe it would run a lot slower.  Will this work or should I just stick with how it was originally wound?

Any clarity on the original winding would be appreciated 

Thanks

Troy

• Like 1

If you do rewind it using your modified scheme, I am interested in how it works out. Fewer turns should give you less power, thereby slowing the fan. More turns = greater power. Being a form of induction motor, the nominal speed is dictated more by the frequency of the current, but less current will result in less power and increased motor "slip." Some of this seems a bit counter intuitive, that's why I am interested in the result of your proposed winding scheme.

I am pretty knowledgeable with home electrical but this is very different and I know just enough to be dangerous.  From what I read you are right and more turns will create more magnetic force increasing the torque but more resistance lowering the voltage and speed. I believe if I increase from 600 to 900 turns it show slow the speed by 50% which would work well for my purposes. I think the smaller guage will be fine but was hoping some more knowledgeable people could chime in.  

I may have to risk $20 in wire and a bunch of time and try it and see if I let the smoke out 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I rewound the stator with all 28 gauge wire.  I did 700 turns then a tap and 150 turns and another tap with 150 turns.  I went a little overboard with a total of 1000 turns.  It worked a bit too well.  The fan would not start by itself but if I turned the blade it would run.  It was slow and just a small breeze. Perfect but I hated the idea that it could not start itself so I redid the entire stator.  Unwrapped it and took out 200 loops and resoldered it.  Works great.  Starts strong but turns pretty slow on the slowest speed.  So looks like 800 turns is the sweet spot if you want a desk top fan that will not blow everything in the office around.  

• Like 2