Getting a Gilbert collection going

Anthony Lindsey

Love me some Gilberts. They have appeal. That green Aristocrat is sweet!

• Like 1

Those fans don't get a whole lot of attention, yet they're pretty decent for being a "dimestore quality" fan. The "Swan" gilbert made especially, is fascinating.

At one time I had a rather nice Gilbert collection…..I had all the models you show as well as every variation of the aristocrat (every color, base design, blade design and size including both colors of the 8”) as well every version of the Gilbert swan, including the pedestal.  In my opinion, the 12” “swan” was the scarcest of all the Gilbert fans..

i have only about 10 fans now and one is a aristocrat and another a mint 10” swan.  Both incredibly quiet and smooth running.

ps: the aristocratic was the first good fan I ever found in the wild.

A couple more details regarding the Gilbert Aristicrat and the “swan”

the 10” and 12” were both sold in green or black.  The green models have the round base and traditional blade design (and green grommets) whereas the black model came with the oval base and egg shaped blade.  
the 8” were all stationary as I recall and were made in green or a cream color.  I found one of the LC team colored one from Australia and was 250v I believe.  It’s been a few years…….

the “swan” originally was painted w the black krinkle paint but in the later years it was painted w a glossy gray paint.  Also, the powder/speed knob had a red dot painted on it.  Unsure why.

they were offered w two different cafe designs.  And I recall Larry among finding a wall ventilator fan w this same blade.

• Like 1

In case you're nostalgic Paul. Bonus pic is the ward swan (I've only had it out and about once).  Sorry for the crappy pics and I need to dust them. We recently had some work done in house and it's just getting back to the point I could unearth these. I'll post better pics to my galleries in the future and after they're cleanup up some. Note how long that little oscillator mech was in production btw. It's a simple effective unit....

IMG_20240209_121147621~2.jpg

IMG_20240209_121510289~2.jpg

IMG_20240209_121520451~2.jpg

IMG_20240209_121700049~2.jpg

IMG_20240209_121710544~2.jpg

• Like 2

Hey there Michael!!  Was that MW Swan pictured the one I once owned??  Definitely very rare as I only ever knew of two others.  

Actually I recognize the cord as being from mine.  
glad you have it!!!

Ah yes, the classic car phase 🙂

I moved on from that too and now my hobbies are skiing and mtn biking as I live in Crested Butre Colorado.

also, FWIW, , I think that black 12” Aristicrat was by far the cleanest of any I ever owned.  Pretty near mint as I recall.  And those are hard to find without corrosion on the blade and cage.

One of the things I love about the aristocrats is how light reflects off the flat nickel cage as it oscillates in a room.  
It’s a beautiful fan that i could never resist buying when I saw them (obviously).   And it has always been under appreciated in my opinion.

Im glad you got all those Michael!

Here is a photo showing the green grommet that came original on the green version.

this is the only one I ever saw with this intact.

IMG_9502.jpeg

• Like 2

Aristocrat I restored years ago with new black wrinkle and new chrome plating on front guard, and guard supports. The original green finish was too far gone. They can be a pain during reassembly. 

GilbertAristocrat 009.jpg

GilbertAristocrat 020.jpg

GilbertAristocrat 080.jpg

GilbertAristocrat 086.jpg

• 1 month later...

Picked my pedestal swan today!  First one I have seen.

20240323_103248.jpg

20240323_103309.jpg

20240323_103323.jpg

20240323_103329.jpg

20240323_103325.jpg

20240323_103317.jpg

20240323_103401.jpg

20240323_103307.jpg

• Like 3

That inline Bakelite switch is same circa, my bet original to the fan. I know I have one of those switches stashed somewhere. What information is on the switch, Anthony?