Rustoleum Charleston Green

Dave McManaman

Perhaps confirmed by others but I spoke with Rustoleum product support today. They stated they “no longer make the Stops Rust in Charleston Green #214086 spray paint. It has has been discontinued and there is no color to replace it and no leftover stock is available.”

I picked this out of a color book.  Not sure it's exact but it looks great

20231130_111359.jpg

20231130_111407.jpg

20231202_141529.jpg

Screenshot_20231214_111048_Facebook.jpg

20231129_162115.jpg

20231129_162110.jpg

• Like 3

I have a few extra cans I’ll be taking to the northeast meets if anybody in the area needs them. Selling for what I paid for them. 

I have a spare can also.  

Personally  I like Anthony’s approach.

I found a few cans after searching hardware stores nation wide.  I used most on a GE AK1 (1930) and found it to be very dark and didn’t really match the original.   I recently acquired a 1926 GE with its original paint and I can tell you that Anthony’s mix is almost spot on to the original paint. 

I have a paint store near me that deals with local auto painters and will match and mix up any color you want.  They’ll give it to you in pop cans too.  
I’m gonna take Anthony’s pic and have them mix up a small batch to use on my most recent GE project.  

Photo #1 is the GE 16” AK1

Photo #2 is a 12” 78x840 with original paint.  

IMG_2022-12-5-095915.jpeg

IMG_2023-12-17-113251.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, John Landstrom said:

I have a spare can also.  

Personally  I like Anthony’s approach.

I found a few cans after searching hardware stores nation wide.  I used most on a GE AK1 (1930) and found it to be very dark and didn’t really match the original.   I recently acquired a 1926 GE with its original paint and I can tell you that Anthony’s mix is almost spot on to the original paint. 

I have a paint store near me that deals with local auto painters and will match and mix up any color you want.  They’ll give it to you in pop cans too.  
I’m gonna take Anthony’s pic and have them mix up a small batch to use on my most recent GE project.  

Photo #1 is the GE 16” AK1

Photo #2 is a 12” 78x840 with original paint.  

IMG_2022-12-5-095915.jpeg

IMG_2023-12-17-113251.jpeg

The examples you posted were a lighter green than Charleston, more like Rustoleum Dark Hunter Green.  The Charleston Green was a match for brass bell and 2 star loophandles, not later fans

I am going to try Anthony's formula 

Below is the green options and original Black Japan 20240303_073608.thumb.jpg.773f54ee6b4e59ebba27fd3a8be9226d.jpg

• Like 1

Good comparison Jim. All of them look different depending on lighting and the camera you use.  Especially Charleston.  

By the way, I've tried other "Charleston Green" colors from one or 2 other manufacturers and they're not very close at all.  

If you have spraying equipment and want to work with automotive paints. I have an exact color match through a local paint supply house in polyurethane paint. They will ship it to you with the necessary additives via a phone order.  The company is BAPS Auto Paint Supply in York, PA.  Just call them and tell them it's "GE Brass Bell Green" and tell them that the mix formula is filed under "AFCA".  They have a handful of other colors too that I've had color matches.  Their paint guy is incredible with his matching abilities.  He even matches the original sheen. .  

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 10:13 AM, Jim Roadt said:

I am going to try Anthony's formula 

Below is the green options and original Black Japan 20240303_073608.thumb.jpg.773f54ee6b4e59ebba27fd3a8be9226d.jpg

Man it always amazes me how “not really black” most black paints are when compared to Japan. I use that gloss protective enamel some…it’s great stuff but takes soooo long to dry. Been using black lacquer a lot though for the fast dry tones like on Emerson gear boxes and collars and such.
   Mostly I ise one shot lettering enamel, mostly for small in-painting touch ups like on bases, but I did use it in a touchup gun and painted an entire base once and it looked amazing. Laid down great. And you really have to be looking at it just right to see that’s it’s not the same as the Japan. (Pic- base one shot, motor original Japan) 

IMG_4758.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marc Sova said:

Man it always amazes me how “not really black” most black paints are when compared to Japan. I use that gloss protective enamel some…it’s great stuff but takes soooo long to dry. Been using black lacquer a lot though for the fast dry tones like on Emerson gear boxes and collars and such.
   Mostly I ise one shot lettering enamel, mostly for small in-painting touch ups like on bases, but I did use it in a touchup gun and painted an entire base once and it looked amazing. Laid down great. And you really have to be looking at it just right to see that’s it’s not the same as the Japan. (Pic- base one shot, motor original Japan) 

IMG_4758.jpeg

If you have a gun setup, try shooting PPG ESSS series single stage Polyurethane. Their Jet Black is an exact match for Japan. 

• Like 2