Desk fan startups and statement 2024!

Daniel Herczeg

(If there is a place to submit articles for the next magazine, I wish to enter this there.)

I hope to exit 2024 with more working fans than I enter it with. I already know I will, I have a second Diehl and a Vornado already in progress and just waiting for summer to be repainted, the Zero box fan, and a green Signal Electric that may be beyond my repair. However, I will likely plunder my local antique stores soon, and hopefully score a few nice fans of the floor, box, desk, and ceiling variety at the fan fair this summer. Though I am slightly disappointed more fans could not be running (And a bit mad at myself for not starting on the Diehl and Vornado earlier last year), I am also slightly proud at all I have done. The 14" Diehl and the 10" Kenmore are probably about tied regarding my most bothersome fans. On both fans I had to replace the cord, which is honestly not a bother at all by now, but on the Diehl I had to drain the oscillating gearbox of the sludgy gray oil from when I got it, which took quite a bit of effort to do, and despite both my efforts and the efforts of a friend of mine who is a car mechanic, we could not lubricate the Kenmore fan at all. No lubricant could free it up. The Sterling comes in at second for being bothersome, as the grill is held in by two poorly made nuts. which frequently need retightening. The GE fan I have has never needed a drop of any lubricant, and continues to run (and look) perfect for all the time I've had it. My favorite fan would have to be the Arctic, though not because it wasn't bothersome, nor was it my first fan, but due to the few troubles it has given me, both through finding anything about it on the internet, as well as with it's cord and bearings, both turning out beautifully. The cord turned out well since I was able to put the old head on it, but still have a safe cord, and the bearings turned out well since they are easily the smoothest of all my fans, despite using almost no oil. One other nice attribute of it, one of which I am still shocked, is that I found one just like it, but in poor condition, priced 20 whole dollars higher than the $55 I got away with paying for it. It was certainly a lucky find. I look forward to the upcoming fan season.

adsrqwrfrsf.jpeg

• Like 1

adsrqwrfrsf.thumb.jpeg.368170441cd8fdaa7ad7496853e6a930.jpeg.af3fb629b6902dab06ce1654f9385411.jpeg

Whew!, I didn't think those
         were ceiling mount fans!

I tried flipping the image, but it uploaded upside down both ways. Technology baffles me sometimes.

• Like 1

You should consider attending the York PA Fan Meet on Sept 14th. You're only about 45 min away.  Lots of great fans for sale and knowledgeable restorers. Flier will be in the AFCA calendar in upcoming weeks.  

• Like 1

Isn't there also a Lehigh Valley one as well? I know that it is a further distance, but I like to sightsee the Allentown/Bethlehem/Whitehall area. Lots of historic and vintage attractions, not to mention the weil antique center, which I frequently rely on for desk fans when I'm in the area.