Dayton DC Type 42

Dave McManaman

I just picked up this little Dayton Type 42 (direct current). It looks like an 8” brass blade steel cage cast base. But I’ve been unable to find out anything about Type 42 on AFCA’s old or new site or through a general Google search. I tried comparing badge, blade set, cast versus steel, cage design etc with other Dayton fans to get to an approximate age. I’m guessing it’s from the late teens. I’ve not seen anything in electrical journals or available catelogues etc. But I’m likely missing it somewhere. Any info is appreciated. 

IMG_6697.thumb.jpeg.4e494f3029cc49de1c2194fa2c441544.jpeg

IMG_6698.jpeg.8395ae8db4dbf6a78ff93578e49c552f.jpeg

IMG_6699.thumb.jpeg.56e1dcb42dfcba34b4052547fa5a4811.jpeg

Edited by Dave McManaman
Added pics
  • Like 3

• Dave McManaman changed the title to Dayton DC Type 42

Measure your blade diameter, Dave. Is it 8" or 9"?  Your fan was intended for farm plant use at 32 VDC. 

IMG_6698.jpeg.8395ae8db4dbf6a78ff93578e49c552f.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Measure your blade diameter, Dave. Is it 8" or 9"?  Your fan was intended for farm plant use at 32 VDC. 

Thanks Russ. I haven’t got it yet. Fingers crossed as it’s in shipment. I’ll measure the blade set on arrival. Good to know about the farm plant use. I have another DC fan but not 32 VDC.

Farm plant use such as the Delco light came to the market mid teens. Dayton Fan & Motor Co. went from a 8" to 9" blade residence fan in 18. 

• Like 1

Emerson it appears did not place farm plant fans on the market until the 17 season.  I am fairly confident other fan motor manufacturers for most part followed suit. 

content.jpg

content (2).jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 10:21 AM, Russ Huber said:

Just got it Russ, safe and sound. And the blade diameter is at 9” after all. Good info to know! The finish is, in general, in really good shape. Some paint loss on the rim of the base, parts of the cage. Now to look it over and look into a power source. 

Edited by Dave McManaman

Hard to believe Dayton was still building them like tanks late teens. Your fan dates no earlier than 18, and it looks like it was made in the first decade+ of the 20th century. Dayton stuck to their marketing propaganda that the pizza wing blades were more efficient well into the 20s. 🙂 

This 12' Dayton type 67 was on the market same time as your 9". Cast iron struts, motor housing, and base. Boat anchor. 

IMG_5429.JPG

IMG_5433.JPG

IMG_6697.thumb.jpeg.4e494f3029cc49de1c2194fa2c441544.jpeg

63C4C3E9-4989-4A34-9188-99E7214C35C1.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I’ve got a power source on the way. Just googled the numbers off the one Russ posted and it popped up. I read the attached links off the new and old site (and everything else that came up in the search that had to do with powering a 32v DC) and other than wiring a femal end to the output wiring it looks like it does the rest. Correct?

Edited by Dave McManaman

On 3/21/2024 at 12:28 AM, Russ Huber said:

Dayton stuck to their marketing propaganda that the pizza wing blades were more efficient well into the 20s. 🙂 

I forgot who uploaded this to AFCA. Maybe you, Russ?  Anyway, you’re spot on about advertising the square end even as most others moved to curved ended blades.   IMG_6756.thumb.png.4b0da2ea98d0d983d4e55473321c7ef8.png

John McComas posted the compact HP printer transformer/rectifier years back. It's ideal at 32VDC output at 2.2 amperage. I have never purchased one yet as I have variable DC power source. I would assume there are two wires on the output end. However you want those two wires leading to your 32 VDC fan is your call. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave McManaman said:

I forgot who uploaded this to AFCA. Maybe you, Russ?    IMG_6756.thumb.png.4b0da2ea98d0d983d4e55473321c7ef8.png

Yes. Dayton marketing propaganda. 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

However you want those two wires leading to your 32 VDC fan is your call. 

Thanks Russ. The fan came with a benjamin swivel plug on the end so I’ll just use a lamp socket receptacle off the transformer. Can’t wait!

Edited by Dave McManaman

1 hour ago, Dave McManaman said:

I’ve got a power source on the way. Just googled the numbers off the one Russ posted and it popped up. I read the attached links off the new and old site (and everything else that came up in the search that had to do with powering a 32v DC) and other than wiring a femal end to the output wiring it looks like it does the rest. Correct?

Works fine with my dc fans... I made and sold many...

• Like 1

So with the two wires coming off the brick, it’s actually one center wire in a sleeve as you’d see with typical electrical wire, but then with the second wire (without a sleeve) wrapped around the center wire. Kind of like coaxial cable. Would I just unwind the bare wire, insulate it separately with shrink tubing, wrap the two where they exit the outside covering, and then wire the two as you normally would to the receptive plug? Sorry, it’s just different from what I normally see. Thanks all!

On 3/23/2024 at 1:21 PM, George Durbin said:

Works fine with my dc fans... I made and sold many...

George should have your answer if no one else responds. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave McManaman said:

So with the two wires coming off the brick, it’s actually one center wire in a sleeve as you’d see with typical electrical wire, but then with the second wire (without a sleeve) wrapped around the center wire. Kind of like coaxial cable. Would I just unwind the bare wire, insulate it separately with shrink tubing, wrap the two where they exit the outside covering, and then wire the two as you normally would to the receptive plug? Sorry, it’s just different from what I normally see. Thanks all!

Dave, that's all I did! Just separate the shield wire from the inner wire. Shrink tube what's not needed. Then wire it up! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bill Arfmann said:

Nice find Dave!!!  Local?

No. Auction and the risky shipping. Smaller fan so I felt good about the odds. 

• Like 2

IMG_6856.thumb.jpeg.bd6309e071a6d017673ef21a18dbde7b.jpeg

IMG_6857.thumb.jpeg.7dfdb8c3426f74fd67ef1c3b92b5aa56.jpeg

IMG_6858.thumb.jpeg.ea19b469a11cabc467017d4152a93109.jpeg

IMG_6859.thumb.jpeg.d6710baef0949f839e4e5eef743f9515.jpeg

IMG_6860.thumb.jpeg.2dca945718d9929bdf03acbd6ab7a3a9.jpeg

IMG_6867.thumb.jpeg.233f0851d52ed67e92968e8a7478c331.jpeg

Finished up the Dayton. A little surface rust and paint loss on the bottom rim of the base and cage but overall the finish is in great shape. Runs nice and quiet on 32v DC. 

• Like 3