Patrick Ray

Got most everything reassembled and the blades polished and riveted back on. Just finished a test run to ensure all is good. Just gotta polish up the cage, struts, cage badge. Excuse all of the smudges on the motor. That'll all get cleaned off with some detail spray when I'm all done.

IMG_20220409_211143.jpg

IMG_20220409_211153.jpg

IMG_20220409_211155.jpg

Edited by Patrick Ray
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Read the cleaning and polishing technique with great interest. Have a nice early GE that was treated to white house paint! Anyone have suggestions to strip without disturbing the original finish? Is it worth the time or should I blast and paint?

Thanks, Terry P

5 minutes ago, Terry Plata said:

Read the cleaning and polishing technique with great interest. Have a nice early GE that was treated to white house paint! Anyone have suggestions to strip without disturbing the original finish? Is it worth the time or should I blast and paint?

Thanks, Terry P

I've found original Japan to be fairly resilient to acetone. Some acetone on a rag would probably remove the house paint without hurting the Japan. I wouldn't soak the fan! Just use it to rub off the house paint. I've done this several fans where there's paint splatter and it works quite well. But it sounds like you've got more than a couple splatters!

Thanks, Terry P

Thanks for the reply Patrick. This fan looks like it was dipped in white latex paint. Sometimes that makes it easier to strip. Gotta get some acetone just in case.

Interesting I bought this fan for parts but upon inspection, too good to cannibalize. So another dumpster fan wii be brought back to life!

7 hours ago, Terry Plata said:

Thanks, Terry P

Thanks for the reply Patrick. This fan looks like it was dipped in white latex paint. Sometimes that makes it easier to strip. Gotta get some acetone just in case.

Interesting I bought this fan for parts but upon inspection, too good to cannibalize. So another dumpster fan wii be brought back to life!

Soak the castings in purple power for a few hours. It’ll rinse off. Worked perfectly on my 19666 without affecting the Japan. 

Edited by Lane Shirey

9 hours ago, Terry Plata said:

Thanks, Terry P

I found a 79646 for $20 that I was going to use as a parts donor. Had a fine mist of green paint over spray covering the entire fan. But looking it over, it was in beautiful condition underneath and it worked flawlessly. I started with a real light compound and it quickly cut through that green revealing it was nearly perfect underneath. Finishing it off with the wax and it really pops. Hope yours is well preserved under that latex paint! 

1 hour ago, Lane Shirey said:

Soak the castings in purple power for a few hours. It’ll rinse off. Worked perfectly on my 19666 without affecting the Japan. 

Lane, do you dilute the Purple Power or use it full strength? I've heard of guys using it but haven't tried it myself. 

11 hours ago, Patrick Ray said:

Lane, do you dilute the Purple Power or use it full strength? I've heard of guys using it but haven't tried it myself. 

Full strength. I have a large tote with about 7 gallons in it. You can keep reusing it indefinitely. After it gets sediment on the bottom, decant the clear stuff off the top and then strain out the sediment.  The good thing is that you can dump it down the drain after you filter out the solids. 

• Like 1