Jandus ball motor fan

Steve Kelly

Does anyone know if the blades on a Ball motor fan were natural or painted? The blade has a brass hub with steel blades. If the blades were originally painted, what color were they?

Not sure about the ball motors, but the wire mounts came with a brass hub and either brass or steel wings. The steel wings were brass plated. I’ve restored both types. I kept the one with the steel blades and had the wings painted gloss black. I love the look of it with the brass hub and rivets. 

image.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chris this is Robert Brandon I have been down a little bit not feeling too good. In any case the piece is absolutely beautifu.l it really does pop with the brass plating and finish. what an exceptional piece of engineering $ God bless Robert stay safe.

Thanks all. I gave a wire mount. It has brass blades. Ball motor I gave seen both brass and steel. Can’t find much on the ball motor to determine if they came both ways or not. The one I acquired has a brass hub and steel blades. No paint. 

56 minutes ago, Geoff Dunaway said:

I've seen those steel blades with a copper oxide finish on them 

Interesting. Factory finish?

Hi David I've been under the weather for the last four five six weeks.. who knows what it is but just bad bad cold

Thank you from the particular country hope you are and family are doing well

This is the Ball motor I am talking about. Just finished painting it. It has a brass hub with Steel blades. I have a Jandus wire mount that has the same cage as this but a all brass blade.

IMG_3510 (3).JPG

IMG_3511 (3).JPG

IMG_3512 (3).JPG

IMG_3513 (3).JPG

IMG_3514 (4).JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steve Kelly said:

Thanks. Interesting. You have one similar. Does yours have a switch?

Not mine anymore. It was missing its original switch. I had one made by Paul Graves out of phenolic. What makes complete sense is if the fan was mounted in the bracket position in a rail coach which is bouncing its way down the tracks, the toothed grip pivot with a nut to snug it tight would hold it upright through a rodeo ride.

image (23).png

On 3/28/2022 at 2:54 PM, Russ Huber said:

Not mine anymore. It was missing its original switch. I had one made by Paul Graves out of phenolic. What makes complete sense is if the fan was mounted in the bracket position in a rail coach which is bouncing its way down the tracks, the toothed grip pivot with a nut to snug it tight would hold it upright through a rodeo ride.

image (23).png

Russ

What did you use for the rubber feet? Are they available some where

1 hour ago, Steve Kelly said:

Russ

What did you use for the rubber feet? Are they available some where

Go to McMaster Carr and enter "Compressible-Stem Push-In Bumpers" in their search engine.  You order bulk from them, so do your homework on the correct footing dimensions. If you just want to cover what you need contact Darryl Hudson with the correct dimensions.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:44 AM, Steve Kelly said:

Does anyone know if the blades on a Ball motor fan were natural or painted? The blade has a brass hub with steel blades. If the blades were originally painted, what color were they?

My 16" wiremount had steel blades and I think they were painted possibly.   My AB Jandus wiremount is very original and I don't know what finish the blades had on them but the other brass on the fan is "dipped and lacquered" which I think was the original finish on the ones with a brass blade.   I have a GE motor wiremount and the original finish is pretty good and looks like dipped and lacquered, a common finish on brass parts that were not polished and the way my GE wiremount appears.

This should explain what dipped and lacquered is:

https://books.google.com/books?id=fWx1Pho4cnoC&lpg=PA375&ots=rb0Y4mcUQx&dq=what was "dipped brass" in the old days&pg=PA375#v=onepage&q=what was "dipped brass" in the old days&f=false

I have a original wire mount GE motor has brass blades. The Ball motor has a brass hub and steel blades. Im thinking the blades were painted. Thinking black but I'll leave them alone till I find out more.

Thanks