Grommets

Jim Roadt

Give it a little lube when you go to install it. Always works for me. Silicone lube, dish soap... Or just do what I do and spit on the grommet. I install plenty of grommets at work running wires through sheet metal. Grommets always submit to me! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The grommets I get always seem to be just too large or just too small for the metal hole. Or I find one that fits but the inner diameter is too small for the wires that need to go through it to fit without making it too big to fit in the metal. 

I have found that small
crochet hooks* work great
for installing and removing
O-rings etc.

2010344026_download(4).thumb.jpeg.8dc66299c47ebb9383179f97258779b9.jpeg

There are no sharp edges
or points to tear or puncture
the rubber.

*  When she asks, "Where are my...",
    just answer, "Haven't seen 'em."   Thumbup.gif.b3e5a9afccb7c638ef8cc02dea6523db.gif

• Like 2

Helps to have proper width to accommodate thickness of opening

Left one easy ....right one not so much20220319_161434.thumb.jpg.64f1b990d60a418037082c198e0a5bcf.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If the winding's are out run a 5/8 drill through and open it up a tad and GE cast iron grommets from Darryl Hudson does away with all your fuss worry and bother and gives the grommet a nice fit.

The rubber feet on step base Emersons and early Jrs are really a pain too.  I dribble some oil on them to help, but it's never easy to get them in.

1 hour ago, Derek Warnecke said:

The rubber feet on step base Emersons and early Jrs are really a pain too.  I dribble some oil on them to help, but it's never easy to get them in.

Spit, prodding tool to get it started, twist it, done deal.