Arctic Air ID and info help

Mike Morris

Found this Arctic Air the other day. The first thing that caught my eye was the curved neck and art deco base. Its a bit crusty but runs and oscillates. After looking through the old forum, the closest match I have found, is a picture of a 1937 Spartan posted by Geoff Dunaway in May of 2011. The base looks like a match , but the blade is completely different. The label on bottom of base is intact, but I don't see a model number anywhere. Any information is appreciated.

20220328_210919.jpg

20220328_211004.jpg

20220328_211040.jpg

Your fan is original and correct, as is the blade.  I have two of these fans from the first year of manufacture with the oscillator engagement wheel partially enclosed in the housing (like in Russ Huber's link above).  I believe that was the first year only (1937), and then the oscillator engager was fully exposed in subsequent years like on your fan.  The motor is cast aluminum I think, and the base cast iron, so the paint wears differently on the parts.  I have an 8" and a 12" model.  

One of the first fans in my collection was an Arctic Aire just like this, with the Torrington blade and the oscillator wheel enclosed within the housing. Still have it. Back when I was younger and dumber, I thought about passing it along but never quite got around to it. And now I've had it so long, I'm rather glad I kept it. Still have to get around to restoring it though! 😂

I've only seen a handful of these fans with the enclosed oscillator wheel in 25 years of collecting.  They don't come up often.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a restored one, but I've thought that they would look great.

Thanks everyone for the information. Now I know that it is a complete original and will put it in like to be redone. I just wish the line going out was moving a little faster. I am going to assume a date of at least 1938 until ?  Does any one know how long this design was produced?  I'm glad I took a shine to it and brought it home, since I really didn't know much if anything about it. Blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then....