Westinghouse 321347 Lubrication

Jim Witherspoon

I just finished cleaning the lubrication ports. I'm trying to make sense of this. It seems there is a worm gear under the wick as is shown in the blurry picture and a gear that meshes with it on the the top of the shaft which goes through the top hole and another gear on the bottom of the same shaft that must meet with another worm gear, probably the oscillator. I'm only guessing that the top worm gear is lubricated by grease as does the bottom gear on the shaft. I haven't had the wick out, but it must travel through conical ports and lubricated the spiral on the shaft, which in turn lubricates the motor shaft with oil. Am I correct?

IMG_0086.jpeg

IMG_0087.jpeg

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0090.jpeg

you need to remove the bottom cover & clean out the dried grease on those gears also, the pictured wick, as you call it is more of a sponge "o" ring to lubricate the sliding/rotating gear in the top portion. Also the neck swivel point needs cleaned & lubed as it will gum up & caused oscillation issues. Hopefully your pot metal neck pivot bracket has not cracked or wore as so many of these do.

4 hours ago, Lawrence Smith said:

you need to remove the bottom cover & clean out the dried grease on those gears also, the pictured wick, as you call it is more of a sponge "o" ring to lubricate the sliding/rotating gear in the top portion. Also the neck swivel point needs cleaned & lubed as it will gum up & caused oscillation issues. Hopefully your pot metal neck pivot bracket has not cracked or wore as so many of these do.

Thank you Lawrence. So, I oil the sponge O ring  to lubricate the sliding/rotating gear, and the bottom gear requires grease. I discovered the bottom cover and will tackle that this weekend. Maybe that will reveal how to get apart the neck swivel point. I am afraid the pot metal neck is cracked already, but the fan runs well. Maybe at some point I'll get the neck welded. If I understood you correctly about the grease and oil points, I appreciate your advice.

Are you on Facebook? I have a thread with pics of the parts disassembled. I’ll see if I can transfer the pics 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawrence Smith said:

Are you on Facebook? I have a thread with pics of the parts disassembled. I’ll see if I can transfer the pics 

If you are able to post pictures, I would sure appreciate it. Thank you

2 hours ago, Jim Witherspoon said:

The gear box fell apart while I was cleaning it. 

Sorry to hear that. Those pot metal parts can just disintegrate. I’m working on a small Century with a very similar oscillator on it, also pot metal. Had a Fitzgerald Star that someone gifted me and the pot metal box on it fell apart in shipping. Unfortunate!

Thank you for the link. I have a old smaller Emerson as well, which seems to have a stronger casing. Yesterday, I was thinking of rebuilding the Westinghouse. I actually have a possible link to a NOS gear box, which I may pursue, if the guy finds it. I also have found the same type Westinghouse that has no power cord, so he doesn't know if the motor works. The gear box looks solid on that one; however, I think he's asking too much money for it as the motor is an unknown. I may get it anyway.and use this mine for spares if the motor turns out good. I need to figure out how to lubricate the Emerson. It seems completely different than the Westinghouse. I may start a new thread for the Emerson. Thanks Lawrence

17 hours ago, Dave McManaman said:

Sorry to hear that. Those pot metal parts can just disintegrate. I’m working on a small Century with a very similar oscillator on it, also pot metal. Had a Fitzgerald Star that someone gifted me and the pot metal box on it fell apart in shipping. Unfortunate!

And thank you as well Dave

My advice for new fan collectors is to stay away from fans using significant amounts of pot metal.   Many are not durable and cannot always be serviced or worked on.  For the Century brand the good ones are the older cast iron FIVE SPEED models.   The three speeds are always pot metal on the 12 and 16" fans.  Some of the smaller Centurys have stamped steel motors with only a little bit of pot metal.   Always check the condition of pot metal before you buy more pot metal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Stephens said:

My advice for new fan collectors is to stay away from fans using significant amounts of pot metal.   Many are not durable and cannot always be serviced or worked on.  For the Century brand the good ones are the older cast iron FIVE SPEED models.   The three speeds are always pot metal on the 12 and 16" fans.  Some of the smaller Centurys have stamped steel motors with only a little bit of pot metal.   Always check the condition of pot metal before you buy more pot metal.

I don't think I'm going to pursue this Westinghouse. Does anyone know if Emersons are cast iron or pot metal? My old Emerson looks pretty substantial. Attached is a picture the nameplate. How about Emerson 79648"s. They are 16 inch.

IMG_0091.jpeg

Jim, pull that magnet out of your pocket or wallet that you always have with you.    That will tell if the item is steel or iron or pot metal.  Many Emersons are diecast aluminum or a similar metal and it is very durable; nothing like Pot Metal.  Emersons in the early period did use some pot metal in the neck part and oscillator adjustment case but, in both cases, the pot metal parts can be replaced with the corresponding cast iron parts.  Some 9" early Emersons used a pot metal gearbox casting but the quality is pretty decent.

To familiarize yourself with Emersons look at my blog.   It does not extend past about 1930:

https://earlyfans.blogspot.com/2011/07/dating-early-emerson-60-cycle-and-dc.html

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 5:54 PM, Steve Stephens said:

Jim, pull that magnet out of your pocket or wallet that you always have with you.    That will tell if the item is steel or iron or pot metal.  Many Emersons are diecast aluminum or a similar metal and it is very durable; nothing like Pot Metal.  Emersons in the early period did use some pot metal in the neck part and oscillator adjustment case but, in both cases, the pot metal parts can be replaced with the corresponding cast iron parts.  Some 9" early Emersons used a pot metal gearbox casting but the quality is pretty decent.

To familiarize yourself with Emersons look at my blog.   It does not extend past about 1930:

https://earlyfans.blogspot.com/2011/07/dating-early-emerson-60-cycle-and-dc.html

Very nice blog Steve. Very informative.

Thank you Jim.  I would love to take time to update the blog and add more but just never seem to get around to it.   Maybe later...