Patina

Jim Roadt

How to clean brass blade from Mason fan without removing patina? Appears like built up or dried up wax on it now and can see it in corners of cage wires also. 

Thanks for any guidance20220529_172309.thumb.jpg.1a462d5550404bb7ea87fa6a40a9ae5d.jpg

Maybe alcohol? Rubbing, not drinking! That will cut through the wax. I don't think it'll affect oxidation of the brass (patina).

Real hundred plus year old patina is very deep and durable unlike fake patina which is extremely thin.. If it was mine I would use lacquer thinner to remove any dirt or coating.. Then I would take some ultrafine steel wool, With some mineral spirits and lightly clean it further.. No need to worry about overdoing it because it will take an awful lot to even start to remove the patina it is that durable..then I would just leave it alone after that but if you don’t like the dry look, I have missed it before with high-gloss lacquer but just a very light misting.. it will bring out the color and the beauty of the patina, or car paste wax...I have used this as well.. It just keeps it from looking dry..

0F67594A-7BCD-4895-8A7A-E5577CD352AE.jpeg

• Like 3

I won this 1901 16" pancake on ebay with a lot of patina and drops of paint, the paint spattering I did not want but how to keep the patina.   I was faced with the same as you Jim and my solution came out pretty good although I would have liked to keep the brass patina more like it was.

I used 4-0 steel wool lubricated with WD-40.   The paint splatters took some pretty good rubbing and I did rub the patina thin in a few spots.

front, original condition.JPG

frontCIMG1383.jpg

left side.JPG

right sideCIMG1384.jpg

rear.JPG

rearCIMG1385.jpg

• Like 5

I have also used paint stripper which had no effect on the old patina.. I’m talking about the old fashion type containing methyl chloride.. It had no adverse effects whatsoever.. if you accidentally polish to far and you’re pissed off  ..simply poor ammonia in a plastic trashcan while suspending your blade with a wire, cover can with plastic for about an hour then check on it every 15 minutes until you get the desired effect... you don’t want the ammonia on the brass ,you just want the fumes to touch the brass.. It’s not the best patina but it does age it rapidly.. and the ammonia can be reused over and over and should last you a lifetime.. FYI might be a real good idea to do this outside and make sure you put your cigarette out before you check on the blade..  

Edited by David A Cherry

On 5/29/2022 at 6:25 PM, Jim Roadt said:

How to clean brass blade from Mason fan without removing patina? Appears like built up or dried up wax on it now and can see it in corners of cage wires also. 

Thanks for any guidance20220529_172309.thumb.jpg.1a462d5550404bb7ea87fa6a40a9ae5d.jpg

🤤 that patina looks good enough to eat!