Conserve or Paint

Mark Stillman

Picked up a BMY a few weeks back.  Brass was coated with what looked like the old silver fence paint.  Beginning to remove it. Runs fairly well, blade needs slight adjustments.  Base and motor have marginal paint.  Still considering trying to save it?

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

clgyoke.jpg

Me personally, I don't think there's enough of the original finish left. I'd go all out on it. Few chippies here and there is one thing, I'd consider preservation at that point. But I think you'd have a more spectacular fan with a full restoration. Usually my cutoff is 90% of the original finish remaining. 

• Like 1

Yes I agree this one is not worth the effort it would take to make the original finish somewhat acceptable. But, I have come to prefer the appearance of nice old original rather than making fans look like jewelry. I may spray it with appliance paint and age the brass.

14 minutes ago, Rick Padron said:

I'm the minority here....I would keep original. 

I look at it like cars... If you find a muscle car with original paint, numbers matching, in great condition, it would be a candidate for preservation. But if there's holes in the floor boards and chunks missing from the quarter panels, a fender in a different color, it needs restoration. It's all up to the owner of the piece (fan in this case) on what their personal cutoff line is between preservation and restoration on a particular example. I've got fans where there wasn't enough original finish left to make it presentable, thus a restoration was needed. But I've got others where preservation was the goal because it retained so much of the factory delivered finish. At that point it's a lube job and wire. 

My French Grey 71666 was missing so much paint, it needed a restoration. My R&M retained 98% of the original finish (plus the pinstripes), it got the finish buffed along with the brass (since I had to do cage repairs). 

IMG_20200912_171520144.jpg

IMG_20201108_095418905.jpg

IMG_20210920_190538588.jpg

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree the BMY needs to be restored. That if said I'll probably do what I can to make it appear to be old original.  It's in very sound condition.

This Trojan I was fortunate enough to pick up will be conserved.  The yoke and head paint will clean up just fine.  The base will be a bit more work.  The blade needs a lot of help.

IMG_0258.JPG

• Like 1

I love that Trojan!  Super nice! That’s one of my “wish list” fans! Do you mind saying what you paid for it?

Edited by David Kilnapp

Nothing more boring than walking into a room of fans with shiny paint and brass. I've seen hundreds of restored BMY's.....They're nice to look at, but that one is a nice survivor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Trojan was in the wild. The seller is a good person. I didn't haggle.  Very happy to get that one! I've been taking pics and will continue to do that.  Looking forward to getting it done then I'll do a full post.  Thanks!

A lot of GE paint WWI and after is garbage from what I can tell reading old posts and my own experience. Even what looks intact can quickly become flakes and your efforts to remove the rust and treat it will soon make a 95% intact paint job 50%. Emerson paint is a lot better, so I tend to keep those original more as I can remove/treat any rust without losing a lot of surrounding paint.  Preserving metal is more important to me than paint. 

Edited by Trevor Andersen

Regarding cleaning up old paint: I know emersons are fairly robust, and acetone can be used. If the same is not true for this BMY, what is a gentler cleaner that can be used if acetone is too strong for ge paint of this era?

BMY Japan will respond well to lacquer thinner. If you want something less harsh, use mineral spirits. Just be gentle around the speed control labels if they’re intact. Use gentle wax only. No solvent on them. 

Edited by Lane Shirey