Diehl Question

Russ Huber

It is not a trick question; it is simply a question?  Was Diehl strictly a DC fan motor manufacture prior to 1913?

Edited by Russ Huber

9 minutes ago, Scott Jeffrey said:

No I don’t believe so. Does this count? 1912 courtesy of antique fan parts website. 

8384DEAC-D401-47C1-9598-C15821E780C2.jpeg

That's the spirit! Nope....Diehl cheated to keep up with other fan motor manufacturers and used a GE motor on AC 12" and 16" fan motors of that time period.

I have proof Diehl offered an AC desk fan in the 19th century. How about .....you?

Edited by Russ Huber

Being there are so far no known images of a 19th century Diehl AC desk fan motor in electrical trade. It is possible Diehl may have rebadged and marketed another manufacturer's AC fan motor to stay competitive in the fan motor market.

• 3 months later...

I was just handed a complete Diehl Pullman wall fan, square base, no badge steel cage and blades. It is a Style RY55, 30VDC, 1913 patent date. It is all original with several coat of paint. I would like to have brass blades for it. Wont these run on AC current as well? This is going to be a fun restoration. 

Dale

15 hours ago, Dale Scribner said:

Diehl Pullman wall fan...

Wont these run on AC current as well?

If it has a cast core,...
            NO.

717890881_18_022223_150000000(1).jpg.3ec85f9b96fb1fc67041fd843d1563a7.jpg

Edited by Jim Kovar

• 4 weeks later...

I am including pictures of the Diehl Pullman fan for comparison. I believe it is completely original with the correct wing nuts for the wire hook up. I am really fortunate to have received this fan. On a doctors visit about 2 years ago my doctor asked me what I did for fun. I told him I restored antique electric fans. He stated, I have a couple of old fans. Abut 2 years later he showed up at my house and said, here, you can have these. When I saw the Diehl, I oh my.

Diehl Motor Tag.jpg

Pullman front View.jpg

Pullman back view.jpg

Pullman side view .jpg

Pullman Wing nut.jpg

Pullman Wall Mount.jpg

Pullman top view.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Durbin said:

Train cars were so dignified and elegant back in the day...

Google "private" or "elegant" Pullman rail coach interiors and then click on images and scan through them. You can also use "sleeper" and "dining" as key words.