Zoom Spout

Jim Roadt

Other than color are both these the same?  I have only used the purple stuff and can only find clear stuff now

I know that the "Original Zoom-Spout Oiler" sold in HVAC supply houses touts being "turbine oil" and is MARS branded (Motors Armatures Relays and something). It is water white when it is fresh, but gradually goes more and more amber to ding nigh brown as it ages over the years. I think it is oxidation of the oil, which to my knowledge, is 20W non detergent.

But hey, I do not really know.

Walmart doesn’t have it on the shelf but you can order it online and pick it up at the store for no shipping charge.  I realize that wasn’t the question, but sometimes it’s hard to find.  

Check the web for the best bang for your buck ISO 46 (20 SAE none detergent) COMPRESSOR OIL. Amsoil sells it by the quart, and other suppliers. Synthetic is your best bet.

standard-conversion.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

5 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

Isn't the recommendation for most of our fans an SAE 20?

Yes,  "IF" the information is correct on the Zoom Spout Amazon link I provided. I had heard Zoom Spout TURBINE OIL was roughly 15 SAE viscosity.  It is not rated for 20 SAE viscosity. But, has anyone's fan motor bearings froze as a result of using Zoom Spout? 

8 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Yes,  "IF" the information is correct on the Zoom Spout Amazon link I provided. I had heard Zoom Spout TURBINE OIL was roughly 15 SAE viscosity.  It is not rated for 20 SAE viscosity. But, has anyone's fan motor bearings froze as a result of using Zoom Spout? 

I'm sure no one has had a fan lock up strictly due to use of a lighter weight oil. But I'm sure we've all seen fans sling a little oil here and there. A heavier oil would combat that. Especially since (provided bearings are original) these fans have seen a lot of use and wear, therefore tolerances are opening up. Not saying we need to start dumping 75W-90 gear lube in our fans, but an SAE 20 or even SAE 30 would cling to those looser tolerances better.

Husky Compressor oil 16 oz. at Home Depot ISO 68 synthetic ( just shy of 30 SAE). $10 bill roughly. 

51Sl+EWkUpS._AC_SX355_.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

13 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

I'm sure no one has had a fan lock up strictly due to use of a lighter weight oil. But I'm sure we've all seen fans sling a little oil here and there. A heavier oil would combat that. Especially since (provided bearings are original) these fans have seen a lot of use and wear, therefore tolerances are opening up. Not saying we need to start dumping 75W-90 gear lube in our fans, but an SAE 20 or even SAE 30 would cling to those looser tolerances better.

I wouldn't get to worried about the use of Zoom Spout. It is a quality turbine oil. Maybe, WE get a little carried away with these lubricants like as if they were gospel. The facts are I have restored a number of ANTIQUE fans with reasonably sound bearings in the past. They weren't using Royal Purple, 3-in-one in the blue can, or Zoom Spout back then. Fact Jack. 🙂

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Russ Huber said:

I wouldn't get to worried about the use of Zoom Spout. It is a quality turbine oil. Maybe, WE get a little carried away with these lubricants like as if they were gospel. The facts are I have restored a number of ANTIQUE fans with reasonably sound bearings in the past. The weren't using Royal Purple, 3-in-one in the blue can, or Zoom Spout back then. Fact Jack.

I'm sure anything we put in these fans now is going to be superior quality to what was originally used in these fans. 

• Like 1

If you want to shop around on the web for the best bang for your buck HIGH QUALITY non-detergent compressor oil in the 20 SAE bracket. You will be seeking between ISO 46 and ISO 68. You may find it in your back yard at places like Home Depot.

standard-conversion.jpg

8 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

I just use bacon grease.

Is there anything
              bacon can't do?

Bacon makes
   everything better...  big_grin.gif.19a8558b3f5704adf8b5c2ca515fb76d.gif

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

I just use bacon grease. 

If you want French toast to die for, fry it up in your fan lubricant bacon grease. Your post made my taste buds jump for joy. My dad taught my younger brother and I to dip our bread in ring sausage grease at the dinner table. I am German for most part, and probably won't live as long as many of you eating your vegetables. I love to have a little bread with my butter. Fact Jack. 

For those who are care about their health...Canola oil is what the steam engine people recommend.  Me, I prefer rendered duck fat...much better than bacon fat.

• Haha 1