Emerson 2010 Question – Part 1

Mike Aidinovich

Finally found time to restore an Emerson 2010 that has been sitting in the display case for a couple of years now.  From the outside, the fan needs a new set of blades which I already acquired from Jerry Bravi and a quick refurbish (rewiring, fiber washers, CF springs, cleaning, etc…).  Sounds like a project that won’t take long.  I jinxed myself by saying that because on the inside she’s had a few band-aid fixes over the decades.   Lots of questions on this one but only asking one this go-around regarding the choke coil.

On the choke coil they cut the coil leads and jumper’d the high and low post on the switch plate bypassing the choke coil and effectively making the switch on/off only regardless of speed setting (Pic Below).  The speed coil ohms out at 1 ohm which I believe should be around 4/4.5 ohms based on Post 18 https://www.afcaforum.com/view_topic.php?id=35695&forum_id=1&highlight=2010+choke.  I have a spare Emmy 1510 choke coil & switch plate that ohms out at 3.9/4 ohms.  The only difference I can see between the 1510 and 2010 choke coil/switch plate is the coil lamination stack size.  The 2010 choke coil has around 6 to 10 additional lamination plates in the stack (Pic Below).  My question is - will the 1510 (4-Pole/4 Blade/2-Speed) choke coil work in the 2010 (6-Pole/6 Blade/2-Speed) without issues such as heat or efficiency?  Even it will work, is the better option to rewind the choke coil?

choke 1.jpg

choke 2.jpg

Edited by Mike Aidinovich

Terrific pictures, Mike. The best guy to answer that question is probably Rick Huckabee. Email him at RGHuckabee@yahoo.com. That coil definitely looks like it needs a rewind and Rick is a pro at it.  The spare 1510 coil may not fit into the base with the higher stack . What does the rest of the fan look like?

• 8 months later...

Hey David

Apologies for the very late reply.  Only pic I could find was a pic from a couple of years ago when I snapped a pic of her in my display cabinet.  The blades were toast – 3 of the hub spokes were broken off and rewelded, rivet missing, wrinkles, dings, etc…  Paint on the motor housing about 90% and the base around 70% so kept the paint original.

Orig 2010.jpg

As for the choke, went with the choke rewind versus trying to use the 1510 choke.  Thank you, Mark Olson, for keeping me straight regarding that matter.  FYI – Mark did the choke rewind.

Thanks to Mark for the choke, Jerry for blade/hub, and centrifugal post/washers, Darryl for the thrust washers and leather rotor seal, my wife because I stole her crafting leather to make the trunnion washers.

She runs like a champ.

IMG_2659.jpg

base.jpg

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Top.jpg

• Like 1