Split phase s3 survey

Matthew Albach

I need your help on this survey I’m willing to go for it again.  but can’t do it alone I need serial number type of centrifugal switch type 1 or 2 the speed switch fabric or ceramic Buber of wings 

also on the transion models as well

Thank  you very much 

Edited by Matthew Albach

Mathew, I have added photos of my S-3 stationary and S-4 stationary fans.   The S-3 has the ceramic switch and the S-4 the fiber switch.  I don't know the difference between Type 1 and 2 centrifugal switches but these two fans seem so have the same switch with a thin metal piece on the rear that has three? bent over metal parts or tabs and not the thicker disc.   The cages on these early century fans are 2-⅝" deep compared to 3-⅛" deep on the stamped steel base models, see picture below showing comparison of 12" models side by side.  My observations seem to show that the early Century models did not have the black oxide finish on the cage badge or motor tag like later Centurys have.

IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

Edited by Steve Stephens

If you have those types of  voltage it’s going to be fiber or ceramic type switch as for. Steven your Fans are type 1 centrifugal switch type 2 has the shield type in the back like Fred Berry has in his s3 6762 thank you for the information . 

steven 

I think you might have this one already, as it resides with another afca member now.  It was a 16", 6-pole, 4-wing, with the stator laminates exposed between the two motor caps.  No. 5197.  5-speed.

This is the only pic I have (it back in the super-low-res digital age).  Unfortunately I took the stator to a motor shop for rewinding and lost track of it.  😞

107-ft.jpg

Edited by Doug Wendel

S3 cast base models with the + cast pivot sequential. 8076-5406. Anyone have a cast base S3 with the + cast pivot to add? 

8076.png

6545.jpeg

6530.jpeg

6414.jpeg

6295.jpeg

6022.jpeg

5739.jpeg

5680.jpg

5406.jpeg

Edited by Russ Huber

Thank  you Russ got allot of work to do so far I got  2 of the  Transition models from split phase to self start the survey is coming along 

52 minutes ago, Doug Wendel said:

It was a 16", 6-pole, 4-wing, with the stator laminates exposed between the two motor caps.  No. 5197.  5-speed.

107-ft.jpg

Are you sure about that? 

Century14-2.v1.jpg.4c12dfef46556796c2418eac23fe079d.png

Edited by Russ Huber

I would love to see in the flesh a Century 12" FACTORY 6 pole stator wind with motor bell removed . The Century 6 wing blades have as much pitch as the 4 wing blade. And 5 speeds on a 6 pole 6 wing motor?

I can't rule it out, but if someone that has a factory Century 6 pole stator and would be kind enough to share a picture of the wind, much appreciated.

54 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

I would love to see in the flesh a Century 12" FACTORY 6 pole stator wind with motor bell removed . The Century 6 wing blades have as much pitch as the 4 wing blade. And 5 speeds on a 6 pole 6 wing motor?

I can't rule it out, but if someone that has a factory Century 6 pole stator and would be kind enough to share a picture of the wind, much appreciated.

Posted in past with photos credited to Geoff Dunaway. Later cast base(with rear rotor cover) S3 6 wing Century residential desk fan with FACTORY 6 pole winding.  

S3Dunaway.png

early6-2.png

early6.png

Once again, past post with images credited to Geoff Dunaway of a later drawn steel base phase shift start factory S3 6 wing Century residence fan motor with now a factory 4 pole motor.

later6-4pole-2.png

later6-4pole.png

later6.png

It appears the cut off between the S3 cast base centrifugal start models and the S3 drawn steel base phase shift start models is between serials 8076 and 8665.

Russ, you have not mentioned anything about the CENTURY S3S models which I know little about.   Similar to the S-3 but the motor is a larger diameter but smaller than an S4.   Geoff has one missing the motor tag and one other member has one which is complete.  Geoff's Century fans in photos, the one missing the motor tag is probably the S3S model.  The photos with fans on their base show the S3S in the middle with a mid sized motor.    Does anyone know more about this fan?
The owner of the S3S sent me this information:

Tag, S3S, says it is a Mod 14 while the S3 is a Mod 15.  No of S3S is 30691 while number of S3 is 59396 so is much later.    Is a pat date on S3 tag of 12-29-14 - - is no pat date on tag of S3S.   

CIMG1061.jpeg

CIMG1063.jpeg

CIMG1065.jpeg

2 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

The blade on the fan belongs to a 1916+ 16" Peerless fan. Notice the curled blade wings going all the way up to the hub.

107-ft.jpg.caf1045911e2ef6fad01b7070fdd4773.jpg

Peerless16-2.png

Got it!  That's actually what I'd thought originally too.  I have a little database I used to keep up until about 400 fans, so I had some detailed notes about the stator and blade I'd found on it, along with a 6-wing 12" blade I had hoped to install..  But then I lost the stator.  Unfortunately, it was in the infancy of the digital photography era, and I never got good pictures of the fan.  I sold the remainders to ???? (name is escaping me at the moment, but he's on here).

7 hours ago, Doug Wendel said:

I think you might have this one already, as it resides with another afca member now.  It was a 6-pole with the stator laminates exposed between the two motor caps.  No. 5197.  5-speed.

Wendel just added the early serial 5197 to the cast base S3 models listed in sequence above. Validating it is a 6 pole would be nice. Whoever owns it here would you please post it minus the wrong blade, struts, and guard?  It appears starting in 12-13 EXCLUSIVELY the cast base 6 wing residence models got the 6 pole stators...so far.  

3 hours ago, Steve Stephens said:

Russ, you have not mentioned anything about the CENTURY S3S models which I know little about. 

There is nothing in electrical trade for me to validate an answer for you.  Give me some time to reason them along with the others.