Westinghouse 12LA2 questions

Jason Sliver

Hello all

I recently picked up a Westinghouse 12LA2 that did run too well, and while tearing it apart, I found two small pieces of felt near the front bearing.  Can anybody tell me what they are for and should I make a set for the rear bearing also?  It still has the regular oil wicks and springs under the shaft.  Also, is there any way to date the fan based on model number, part number?

Thanks

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.6609a4d3a0d29bcc617c8714850d07d0.jpg

Hello Jason,Your fan dates to about 1950 to 1953,it should have a metal painted tan blade,if it has a plastic blade (Westinghouse called the blade Hemcolite) their version of a molded blade,if that’s the case the fan is from 1954.Those felt pads you see by the front bearing is to prevent any oil from seeping out the front of the motor housing onto the blade in the case of OVER OILING. They are not needed on the rear bearing cause the grease from the oscillating would absorb and leaking oil.Under each bronze floating bearing is a small oil well with a spring loaded wick just enough to keep the bearings oiled for a season of running,just about 10 drops of a good NON DETERGENT OIL is sufficient to keep the bearing lubed.I use 20 or 30 weight oil.most guys like Zoom or 3 in 1 but I personally think those oiled  are too thin to keep the bearings oiled.Use a good wheel bearing grease for the oscillating gears.I use Valvoline # W609 it stays very playable and does not harden over time.Keep the fan lubed and it will run smooth n quiet for years !! Hope this helps clear up your Q’s !! Jeff.

Hi Jeff.  Thanks for the information, that's good to know! The fan motor, blade cage, and stand is painted a tan/beige color, but the blade is a nice aluminum that I have started polishing up.  I couldn't find any evidence of the blade having been previously painted except for the center hub.  

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.631cc717feabaa5dbcb8d7547c232d0f.jpg 

• Like 1