Removing gearbox from GE AOU 1930’s or similar Stamped Steel case

John Landstrom

Anyone have any advice, tips, tricks to get the pot metal gearbox off the back of the motor housing ?

Alresdy taken out the three small screws,  removed the brass bushing, retaining ring etc.   I don’t see evidence of anything holding it to the case other than maybe the paint on the outside.  Tried tapping it with a wooden stick and a small hammer but haven’t been aggressive with it.   Don’t want to damage the gearbox.   I’d like to remove it so I can proceed with stripping the case prior to painting.   Edit:  stater is still inside    

Anyone with experience doing this?

Edited by John Landstrom

I use a very thin tip screwdriver and simply pry it away from the motor very very very little at a time and work my way around.   On the first trip around basically doesn't move it but as you keep working around it eventually will start to give.  Patience is a virtue.  take it nice and slow.    I have popped off a couple dozen this way.

Thanks Anthony I’ll give that a try.  Figure I’ll grind and polish an old screwdriver down to a thin blade.  
Did you slip in in a little and use a twisting action or did you slip it in a little and keep the blade flat against the rear of the gearbox levering against the case? 
Looks like I may have to use a utility blade to cut the paint where it meets the case.  It appears they painted it in place.  In places it looks like there is no seam.  
Scary process.   I have dripped some WD40 down around the inside where it comes through the case keeping it away from the stater and let it sit for a week.  Hoping that helps.  

Once out did you find it was easy to put back in place?   Or did you lightly sand or polish the part that enters the case to make it slide in easier?

The "top" where the 2 screws are stays on motor.  There is a metal stem from the motor into the neck.  That stem is permanent to the motor.   Brute force took it off.  

Little confused by that.   The gearbox has three small screws attaching it to the motor housing that have been removed. (see pics)

Not sure what you mean by “the top”.   Perhaps you could refer to the pics below and clarify?  They depict where I’m at so far using my method of a hardwood stick and a small hammer to tap around the circular part of the gearbox that slides (?) into the steel motor casing.  You can see that the gearbox is just starting to come away from the motor housing but continued tapping doesn’t seem to do much.   Perhaps more patience is required?

When done I have to figure out what to use to clean the inside of the stater (magnets?) without damaging it.  The motor runs and 3-speed switch works.  The stater didn’t move (I don’t think) after trying to remove it, so my plan is to just leave it alone and pack the inside of the housing with material to prevent all or most of the debris when I strip the paint and prep for painting -also preventing paint from entering the case.  

Advice/thoughts?

B772C60F-F4A3-438C-A531-C72C722ABF2A.jpeg

DC76249A-3CFF-4981-88FA-C8311ED351F0.jpeg

4599090D-14A3-4126-A0ED-BCB927753FCB.jpeg

F178E0AD-1421-49B8-90C1-0A1CB4B8120B.jpeg

D8C60D5F-7046-4CBE-982E-5F2E11DAF302.jpeg

That's odd,   that post is not for this thread.  Please ignore that one.

Your almost home.

Yes, I twist the screwdriver slightly.

Keep working your way around,  no need to bang on it from the inside of the motor.    If it is tight going back in you can sand it as well as the opening but they usually go in once it is cleaned off.  The 3 screws is what hold the gearbox on.

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2022 at 1:26 PM, Anthony Lindsey said:

Your almost home.

Keep working your way around,  no need to bang on it from the inside of the motor.    If it is tight going back in you can sand it as well as the opening but they usually go in once it is cleaned off.  The 3 screws is what hold the gearbox on.

Anthony,

Continued to try but it wasn’t budging any more.  I gave up and tapped it back with my small hammer and stick of wood.  Think it’s close enough.  Screws thread in fine.   
Just about to paint all the fan parts.  All cleaned, primed and primer is sanded with 600.   This should be fun…..I hope.  

Now for the real questions I had for ya….

1.  The inside of the stater was grimy.   Won’t come out, and yes, I’ve tried.  Rubbed all the black oily stuff off with lacquer thinner dampened cloth.  Now it’s back to what appears to be bare, somewhat shiny metal inside.  Does this get a coating of lacquer like the windings do, or is it fine just clean and bare?

2.  GE AK1/AOU 1930ish 75425.   Been searching but haven’t found anything definitive.  What size wick do the oilers use?  Have both 1/8” and 3/16” on hand.    Also, are the springs different for the different wick sizes?  Have to replace a spring or both and want the right sizes.   (Oh, old wicks were swollen with hard oil and shot.  Couldn’t measure.)

If Anthony doesn’t know, do any of you reading this know the answers?

On 7/21/2022 at 1:26 PM, Anthony Lindsey said:

Your almost home.

Anthony,

Continued to try but it wasn’t budging any more.  I gave up and tapped it back with my small hammer and stick of wood.  Think it’s close enough.  Screws thread in fine.   
Just about to paint all the fan parts.  All cleaned, primed and primer is sanded with 600.   This should be fun…..I hope.  

Now for the real questions I had for ya….

1.  The inside of the stater was grimy.   Won’t come out, and yes, I’ve tried.  Rubbed all the black oily stuff off with lacquer thinner dampened cloth.  Now it’s back to what appears to be bare, somewhat shiny metal inside.  Does this get a coating of lacquer like the windings do, or is it fine just clean and bare?  Oh, and does the rotor get a coating of lacquer as well?   Cleaned that too.   Not a motor guy.

2.  GE AK1/AOU 1930ish 75425.   Been searching but haven’t found anything definitive.  What size wick do the oilers use?  Have both 1/8” and 3/16” on hand.    Also, are the springs different for the different wick sizes?  Have to replace a spring or both and want the right sizes.   (Oh, old wicks were swollen with hard oil and shot.  Couldn’t measure.)

If Anthony doesn’t know, do any of you reading this know the answers?

That's fine,  good not to force it.

either way won't hurt the performance of the fan.  If left bare it will eventually develop surface rust.   I use Varnish instead of Lacquer.     it will help prevent surface rust and it won't hurt the rotor either.

Maybe someone can chime in on bare vs sprayed.    Also lacquer vs. varnish also.

I believe it is 3/16" which is the middle size.

Thanks Anthony,

I await input from all.   Should have asked before I primed it for painting !   You brush or spray it on?