1 minute ago, Russ Huber said:

Looks like a salesman's demonstration model for the real deal.

That is what I was thinking.  The oil lid was the clue?  I have never seen small motor with that lid other than the larger counter part.

I will get a better idea when it arrives.  The oiler and belt was my clue it was a salesman sample.  Obviously, the tag is missing.  Someone out there must have a bigger version of this.

12 minutes ago, Steve Cunningham said:

Knapp used that lifting eye on their small motors.

I saw that but the open part has me stump.  I will do further search on Knapp and see if I come up with a match.  Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Steve Cunningham said:

Knapp used open frames too. 

Yes, but their open frame is open "X".  I went over to Worthpoint...could not locate yet.  The oilers is unique.  Perhaps someone recognizes the oilers on the bigger motors?

Just arrived.  This thing is small.  Both endbells are definitely brass.  Part of me is tempted to remove and have it polish while the other half wants it original.  The tag on the base is obviously missing.  If someone recognizes this, I will buy you a 8 inch R&M Flag badge!  It is very close in design to the Knapp, but not quite.

image.thumb.png.ae255e1feb6b69cef9c273d7867e7070.png

Edited by Louis Luu
  • Like 2

Proof that this is salesman sample?  Today, I noticed one of the brushes was not making contact so I decided to remove the screws to adjust the brush.  I almost lost two of the screws due to their size.

I own plenty of toy motors and the screws are usually large enough to be handled with ease without slipping out of hand including the brushes.  The screws on this motor is all miniaturized and really small including the set screw....like watches including the brushes.  Even the set screw on the pulley is miniaturized.

Also, I have never seen brass endbells on such a small motor.  Does anyone know why brass would be used on endbells for such a small size motor?

7 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

.....The screws on this motor is all miniaturized and really small including the set screw....like watches including the brushes.  Even the set screw on the pulley is miniaturized......

Louis, that is fascinating!  I was thinking how neat it is as I read the posts and scrolled down; then saw your picture with a Diet Coke can for size reference.  All I can say is Wow! I am sure it took some specialized tools and techniques for the day, to manufacture that. 

8 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Also, I have never seen brass endbells on such a small motor.  Does anyone know why brass would be used on endbells for such a small size motor?

From a machinability standpoint, and probably a casting standpoint; it is easier to make low production parts from brass versus iron. Dealing with a small part, the machining and manufacturing cost would be a much bigger factor than the material cost. 

2 minutes ago, David Allen said:

Louis, that is fascinating!  I was thinking how neat it is as I read the posts and scrolled down; then saw your picture with a Diet Coke can for size reference.  All I can say is Wow! I am sure it took some specialized tools and techniques for the day, to manufacture that. 

I know I have fat fingers but the screws are really small!  Even my Ajax toy motor is much easier to take apart than this.  I will need to take lots of pictures before disassembly to adjust the brushes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Allen said:

From a machinability standpoint, and probably a casting standpoint; it is easier to make low production parts from brass versus iron. Dealing with a small part, the machining and manufacturing cost would be a much bigger factor than the material cost. 

That does make sense.  Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russ Huber said:

Is that motor mounted on a marble plaque?

Yes.  The nut screw is also much smaller than the Ajax!

1 hour ago, Jim Kovar said:

ezgif-3-cb704d572f.jpg.9e7589a78419bce7ea7cc3578d3eded7.jpg

The left one is the Knapp?  Now the one on the right is much closer.  If you can provide more pictures to confirm a match, I will send you a badge.

Edited by Louis Luu