Wiring question on my six blade 1916 GE residential oscillator

David Kilnapp

Friends:  Recall that I put this fan in the wanted to sell section of the forum:

IMG_1511.thumb.JPG.3fdb3ced4dc84299d7a27ce7e8e666b5.JPG

In the restoration (some years ago), I had not replaced the headwire, which was comprised of two wires coming off the stator. Those two wires (original wires) were comprised of two smaller wires totaling four wires.

So today, I removed the stator and stripped the wires all the way back to the stator and here's what I see:

IMG_2044.thumb.JPG.8d6a857841fd46fa0a50f87c09ad94fb.JPG

It looks like a typical three wire stator though the far left wire (the red one) had a yellow wire offshoot to it joining the stator at the same point as the yellow (middle wire):

IMG_2045.thumb.JPG.3f96ce2bdf59f2f07ddb70bd4fd1a259.JPG

The ohm meter readings for the three main wires are:

Red/Green...179

Yellow/Green...44

Red/Yellow....187

Should I ignore the yellow wire off of the red wire and just treat this as I normally would and connect the three main wires to the stator on three colored points. I've never seen this odd wiring before and it appears to be original to the fan. Rather than run a fourth wire from the stator, I suppose I could accomplish the same thing by simply connecting the red and yellow points on the choke coil with a wire. Thoughts???

Thanks to Tom Newcity and Kim Frank who answered the question of the odd fourth wire.They advised me to IGNORE IT and wire it as before so I replaced the rotten head wire with that marvelous Tony Clayton 3 conductor wire and it works like a charm. All the connections to the choke coil are now color coded (black to black, green to green and white to white) so there will never be any confusion as to what goes where.

IMG_2048.thumb.JPG.ce988d13e9f18663562ee225d9c6dddf.JPGIMG_2049.thumb.JPG.8bd7faae779e507733935c4cd26cfe5f.JPG

I cleaned up the three remaining head wire stubs and then soldered Tony's wire to the three leads, eliminated the odd wire offshoot and brought the fan back to factory fresh. In other words, all of the wire mess below got cleaned up completely.

IMG_0926.thumb.JPG.6e2239b52b7b1f854896e99195024cbe.JPGIMG_0919.thumb.JPG.72449e6818f04196c104991a54ed6841.JPG

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for following up on the wire situation.That is useful information. Too many times,and even on the car forums,someone will start a topic that is useful,then get it figured out and not post fix and leave  interested readers hanging in the wind.