Vertical Toy Motor Bank Teller Fan

Louis Luu

Just got a reply for the seller "This little motor runs perfectly using a small torch battery but I have no idea regarding the recommended voltage."  He collects steam engines.

On 8/8/2022 at 3:29 PM, Russ Huber said:

Description quote: " Fig. 7 is a plan of the fan."

Since the 1901 patent clearly states that it is for a toy electric motor with a fan, any chance this could be one of (or the first) patented horizontal electric toy fans ?

The bio’s for A. Atwater Kent oft mention his early motor and fan production in the 1890’s. http://www.atwaterkent.info/akHistory.html

On running voltage , usually nominal 1.5 volts DC from #6 dry cells of this period was A-Ok. 

9EFE28CC-A72B-42E4-8894-9DBBF5A72077.jpeg

1 minute ago, Jay Carter said:

Since the 1901 patent clearly states that it is for a toy electric motor with a fan, any chance this could be one of (or the first) patented horizontal electric toy fans ?

The bio’s for A. Atwater Kent oft mention his early motor and fan production in the 1890’s. http://www.atwaterkent.info/akHistory.html

On running voltage , usually nominal 1.5 volts DC from #6 dry cells of this period was A-Ok. 

9EFE28CC-A72B-42E4-8894-9DBBF5A72077.jpeg

Jay...I don't know where you are getting all these pictures.  I find them extremely interesting!  I have the battery on the right....about 60 of them in original condition.  I probably will use the outer part and put in a new battery for use.

Louis, some pics I have from old brochures , others I snatch off the web. I only have 1 Ajax Porter and searching this site for some of your Porter pics and small motors has helped me research the brand a bit more !

• Thanks 1

When I work on a fan like this, I start with the smallest voltage and work up. The Manhattan No. 1 is rated at 2k rpm which is enough to de-laminate the rotor and commutator on some of these when run on the suggested 4.7 volts. So, at first a single D cell, then 2 and maybe a lantern battery if it needs more.

• Like 1

Motor just arrived.  This motor is small.  The vertical fan will be one of thee smallest one yet I think.   The logo is there...need to clean off the grime with a q-tip.  I may have to print the struts and cage ring?  I will reach out to Bill and ask him if the cage is doable.

image.thumb.png.658b679e6158340c62cfee22cb9ffa77.pngimage.thumb.png.b2bd5bea2ee80963401538010b3fa8a3.png

• Like 1

I went ahead and drew in the rivet.  Figured this would be much easier.  Rivets are only temporary to measure cage clearance.

image.png.3bf03c81aaf817f84cfc77d6f91911bb.png

Edited by Louis Luu

This is what the overall fan would look like.  Holes were preform to ease the work and lessen the chance of breaking.

image.png.e04b90cb2198bf1ca040bf90a93021ab.pngimage.png.6d5425ff2d908fd30af655d215d9a5e3.png

Edited by Louis Luu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...