Century S3 12" Model 15 project

Trevor Andersen

Digging into this century project. I shaped and put on 3 new 2.5mm wires on the cage. The old were broken and it looked like wire hangers had been used to make new front to back wires. I still need to wet sand down and buff some of the work but it should look decently matched. Stripped the old awful green paint on top of the rusted out original. My plan is to do some detailed work on this one with the painting. 20220807_175038.thumb.jpg.73e454cc22b5f00c2f780a892d3cf58c.jpg

20220807_175251.thumb.jpg.a0ffd065a637da5b4b21fee98c1697ef.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this fan? I have a faded one on the baseplate and have seen others on the old site but I need something for dummies. I can ohm out the headwires and determine high mid and low but then I need someone to explain to me which wire attaches where. This version of the switch has the one wire that gets attached to the 3rd speed if that helps.

There are schematics/diagrams on the old site courtesy of John McComas, within the information restoration section. Here are a couple that may apply. 

0B49530B-F772-4AC6-929F-98171189B3DF.jpeg.365e057036e41ff5afc4276863156811.jpeg

955EFFE8-102C-463F-96F7-8DA30B030FC1.jpeg.90db7156e900f13588ec9c8baf4a622b.jpeg

Edited by Dave McManaman
  • Like 1

A sneak peek. It will look darker and more depth once the clear coats are on. Have some scrollwork pinstriping to do first.

20220822_221949.thumb.jpg.44e1adc35f7c92deaf4b2dacee7f0c92.jpg

Edited by Trevor Andersen
  • Like 3

Anyone have tips on how to connect the housing pieces back together with the stator and rotor inside? I am having a problem getting the rear housing to slide on all the way when tightening the bolts. Do I need to tight the rear bolts first and then pull the stator in fully with the front bolt tightening? I tried some light grinding inside the rear housing but the lip fits fine over the stator it appears and I don't have any clearance issues from the coils etc. Baffling me at the moment.

Edited by Trevor Andersen

1 hour ago, Vic Valencheck said:

Great work Trevor! 

I'm looking for the same fan in an unrestored state.

Thanks. I love the look but I don't think I ever want to restore another lol. It has so many little parts that just don't survive or you don't notice they are missing. This is probably the 4th century I've worked on. They are very sharp looking but I much prefer working on an Emerson or GE. 

5 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

Thanks. I love the look but I don't think I ever want to restore another lol. It has so many little parts that just don't survive or you don't notice they are missing. This is probably the 4th century I've worked on. They are very sharp looking but I much prefer working on an Emerson or GE. 

I second you on that statement, I restored a later solid iron motor century and it is a solid fan but I had to use a parts fan to replace missing/ broken bits on the one I was restoring. Definitely a little over-engineered. Yes I somehow had two 5 speed iron century 16” in my possession haha, both which do run

7 minutes ago, Dylan Sailors said:

I second you on that statement, I restored a later solid iron motor century and it is a solid fan but I had to use a parts fan to replace missing/ broken bits on the one I was restoring. Definitely a little over-engineered. Yes I somehow had two 5 speed iron century 16” in my possession haha, both which do run

Definitely over-engineered. Only some of the non-polar cub Gilbert fans have I found to be more arcane and needlessly complex.

That's cool. Take it to a car show.  The dude that owns this car would probably flip you 10 to 20 Bens for your ra🙂d Century. 

00ea5cdef0acae914ce880640b39b897.jpg

20220907_155102.thumb.jpg.7b49441d8552e746d9d653d0c002737a.jpg

e166250b63165e99f7f0ef13c4daadf0.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Steve Butler said:

Beautiful job Trevor!  Did you get that fan from me at FF?  The hideous pre-restoration green looks familiar.  🧐

I did get it at FF. The horrible green inspired me I guess haha. 

8 hours ago, Chris Campbell said:

Dig this. Ironically recently bought similar paint

Profile helps that pearl pop. You did well with this!

I've been experimenting with mixes and coat orders etc. I think I need to put on a couple more intercoats of the water based clear when using metallics to get a smoother surface. I had to put on extra coats of 2k clear to get this smooth.