GE 16" 75425 - What can be done?

Enek Sovari

Hi all,

As soon as I posted photos of my first fan restoration, I was asked about the next project.  I laughed, but sure enough a friend dropped off this 75425 model to see what I could do.   Aside from general deterioration, the oscillating gearbox and bell were broken (see photos below).   I noticed someone else on the forum looking for these parts not too long ago.   Is this worth restoring or should it be kept as parts?   I could probably get it running and use it without just the oscillation feature, no?

It looks like it is painted a muted/dull green.  Is that the original color?  I have seen brass bladed versions of this, but these appear to be painted aluminum. Were there variants with different materials and finishes?  Thanks!

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5211.JPG

Hi Enek. Yes, fans seem to multiply pretty quick. Once you have one, you’ll have a dozen soon after!  This fan is from about 1930-31 (based on Form AK1). It came with painted aluminum blades and the color looks consistent with original. I think you should be able to source a new bell with a oscillator gearbox (may need to get both as I’m not sure if the parts are easily separated, may be press fit). It probably won’t make money fixing it but it can be a good addition to your collection. 

Edited by Dave McManaman

Hi Enek. I believe that Dave is correct. The bell is press fitted and not easily separated from the gear box, which is also broken. Contact Chad Baker at Antiquefanparts.com. He may have a replacement gear box and bell oscillator for this fan. This fan is not particularly rare or valuable but could be a nice addition to your collection if you can find the parts you need to restore it for not too much money. I would echo Dave's statement about how addictive this hobby can be. The fun part (at least for me) is finding a decent fan and restoring it back to life. I'm always learning new techniques (with the assistance of the kind folks in this forum).

Edited by David Kilnapp

I know I posted this fan recently so, if I posted it for you, here's a spare post.   This fan was 100% original from the paint to the wiring and the molded plug and the felt.  It was close to a new fan when I got it off ebay about 10 years ago.   Hope this helps with your restoration.   I can't help on the actual restoration as I never restore but look for really good and original fans.  This one was, by the way, very fairly priced.

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

• Like 1

David, the photos of the packing like these earlier photos, below, are how the seller packed the fan.  Needless to say I was surprised and don't recall now why he packed so well.    This was one of the best packed fans I have seen.

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Enek,

FYI - I’ve been searching for an undamaged one as well for my AK1/AOU 75425.  I usually deal with Linda at antiquefanparts.com.  
Just pinged her again last week and all their gearboxes are damaged.  No specifics on the type/extent of the damage. 
You could inquire though.  
I did get a “trumpet” style bell from the though.  It was still attached (press fit) to the broken gearbox.  It really wasn’t hard to free it from the shaft.   I used a small vice opened enough to allow for the threaded lug attached to the shaft (inside the broken gearbox) to slip between the vice jaws.  The remaining part of the gearbox sat on the top of the jaws.  The “trumpet” bell was now vertical with the bottom up. You’ll see a small hole in the center of the bottom.  The metal in the hole is the pressed in shaft.  Using a small hammer and punch, and light-medium taps I worked the shaft out of the bell without damage.   
I figure I’ll use a couple of small blocks of wood and a “C” clamp to squeeze the “trumpet” back onto the shaft.   Either that or a small block of wood under the lug and another on the underside of the trumpet to to tap it in place with a small hammer.  Hopefully it won’t break.   Still have to do that.  
Fingers crossed.