Charity auction fan information

David Kilnapp

Hello friends. As Treasurer of Neighborworks Housing Solutions, I'm donating one of my fans to the silent auction at our annual Gala. This BMY has been re-japanned by Rick Powell and polished and lacquered by me. I would like to put some information on a tag in front of the fan at the silent auction table including the date of manufacture and market value. I was thinking maybe somewhere in the 1909 to 1912 time range for this big motor yoke but I want to be accurate as possible. Perhaps someone could look up the serial number and provide that date? Also, I need to establish a value as the non-profit will give me a letter for tax purposes as to the value of the donation or should that be whatever it sells for? Your opinions please?

IMG_0998.thumb.JPG.704ce6b9a2c5c23f7d485348f0873cd9.JPG

IMG_0997.thumb.JPG.e7fb3a96985f36e4e27c63fadc65e79d.JPG

IMG_0999.thumb.JPG.106bbe93b6d15cc66db4fc400fa02f94.JPG

IMG_1002.thumb.JPG.ecd14dec4257441c214da05e660b57bc.JPG

• Like 2

An auctioneer friend of mine does a lot of charity events.  He always tells people don’t put an estimated value of items.  People won’t bid over that.  I’ve seen plenty of donations sell way over actual price. Let the bidders go crazy. Best of luck with it.  

Ok, I’ll take a stab at dating and say 1910, perhaps later ‘09. Flat 90 degree side mount  struts ( versus the earlier flat front mount or later profile strut) with a serial # in the upper 400k. Just viewing, looks like a mid height to the pivot as opposed to a squatty base. But without measuring, can’t be fir certain. What a generous thing for you to do!

Edited by Dave McManaman
Typo

I agree with Dave you have a 1910 BMY.   I notice there are bends in the struts near the cage end.   They should be straight from the sharp bend at the motor end to the cage end.   If the struts are correct otherwise it should be an easy fix by clamping the struts in a smooth jawed vise then tweaking as needed.   That is very nice of you David to put the fan in their auction..