Montgomery Ward - Super Blue Line AC16 - Need Advice

Fred Williams

I have this fan that I inherited years ago from my grandparents, and I've wanted to fix it up for years. I'm honestly not even sure if it works, as I've been afraid to plug it in in it's current condition.

I recently started to pull the base apart to take a look at replacing the power cord, as the cord is in very poor condition. I do have experience working with wiring, so I'm not too worried about that part of it, though I'd welcome any suggestions about a nice looking cord to use as a replacement. However, I'm wondering if the old transformer in the base of this fan can still be trusted? Or if it should be replaced? And if it needs to be replaced, can anyone provide any guidance on what to replace it with? Also, do you think the cable running from the base up to the motor will be ok, or should I look at replacing that as well?

Aside from that, any advice anyone can provide on how to proceed with the overall restoration would be welcome. Should I try to strip the paint and repaint it? Paint over the old paint? Just leave the paint as is and clean it up?

I'm not sure of it's exact age, but I'm guessing it's pre-50's based on this post I saw on the old forums about a DC12 from 1933 being restored.

Thanks in advance for any input anyone is able to provide!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Fred,

From what I am seeing aside from the need for the fan to be rewired, my bet is your chances are above average the fan will run on 3 distinct speeds.  

Your fan was made by the Signal Electric Mfg. Co. of Menominee Michigan in the early 30s based on the CCW blade rotation and wing construction. Super Blue Line is simply a trademark name for Wards to market the fan.

Nice! I really appreciate the information pointing toward the history of this fan! If there is anything I can do to help fully identify it, (take additional pictures, look for specific markings, etc) let me know!

Until we locate the Signal catalogues 1930-32, early 30s is the best we can do for you. Don't quit your day job if you intend to sell it. You're better off keeping it in the family. 

That model was designed by Henry Tideman, the originator/engineer of Menomonee electric fans starting 1893 into the 20th century. He left Menominee in 1919 to return to Signal Electric in 1927. The Signal fan motor line introduced in 1928 into the early 30s were designed by Henry Tideman. He passed away in 1935. It is very possible his fan motor designs at Signal Electric spanned 1928-35. 

HPIM0706.JPG

unnamed.png

Edited by Russ Huber

Yeah, not looking to sell it... I would actually like to fix it up, at least enough that I could have it out where it can be seen and put it back to use... Just want to make sure it's safe from an electrical perspective first.

But again, thanks for sharing what you know of the history on it!

If you are frustrated or challenged trying to properly wire it safely, please give a general idea of your location. There may be a member here close to you with the skills to help you. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Again,

I've managed to tear the fan down most of the way, but I'm a little bit stuck now. I'm not sure how to extract the motor from the rear housing... I could try some brute force, but thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a better way? One way or another, I need to get it out of there to replace the section of cable that runs from the motor down to the base of the fan where the switch is. As you can see in the images below, the existing cable is rotted out and quite far gone...

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Unthread and remove the oil cup and then back out the screw securing the worm gear on the rotor shaft and remove that from the shaft. Your rotor should be able to be removed from the motor housing.  You have a 6-pole stator which means a nice easy going 4 wing fan. Typically, a 4 wing has a 4-pole motor which runs faster.

I have never restored one of those yet. Once you get the rotor out you may be able to get a grip on the stator laminations (careful to not damage the windings) and wiggle it out of the housing. 

Edited by Russ Huber

2 hours ago, Paul Carmody said:

Does it have a brass blade?

Nah, it's silver in color... Can see it in the pictures in my original posting above. 🙂

I was seeing scratches,chips in what I thought was silver paint,and it looked like brass.Probably just the light.

Edited by Paul Carmody

Ah, yeah, wasn't great lighting... And there's also a fair bit of grime and such on the blades in those pictures. Hadn't done any cleaning of it yet at that point.

• 3 weeks later...

So, after a bit of a hiatus, I'm attempting to get this torn down the rest of the way. I managed to pull the set screw from the worm gear, but I'm not having much luck pulling the worm gear off of the shaft. I'm hesitant to try to grab it with pliers or vice grips, because I don't want to damage the threads. I kinda doubt there's enough to get a hold on with something like these pullers, but maybe? I considered using a soft wood like pine or something to clamp/press a couple pieces around the worm gear forming the wood into the threads and tying to pull it with that? Any suggestions before I start getting 'creative'?

image.thumb.jpeg.b57899b36f8e185cd48a30a86e3ca5a6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b6514d1744892816e09a5ae115deb37a.jpeg

Ok, so never mind regarding the worm gear... I got that off and was able to pull the stator and rotor out of the rear housing finally.

That said, the nasty state of the wiring I found inside has me more than a little worried that I may not be able to replace it... That said, I'm assuming I'll have to remove all the tape wrapped around the coil to expose where the wires are connected to the coil wires, remove the old wires from the coil wire leads, connect (solder) new wires, and make sure to keep the positive / negative leads isolated from one another once that is done? I'm assuming that's what all the tape was intended to do, is insulate the positive and negative leads from one another.

image.thumb.jpeg.66715deaebc97b607fc0d6145918de30.jpeg