Russell Electric/Ballentine/International Circulator?

Russ Huber

A number of months back I had an Iowa dealer friend of mine pick this up for me in his neck of the woods off of Facebook Marketplace. I finally got it today. I bought it because it was cheap and had my curiosity up big time. It had an International Circulator guard on it. The housing appears to be correct as the holes match for mounting the front cast iron section to the Ballentine motor frame. The oil port holes align as well. Unfortunately, the motor growls and won't rotate. 

Does anyone have anything like it, or can identify it?  The International guard mounts align to the front cast iron housing mounting holes that secure it to the Ballentine motor frame.

If anyone needs parts from it, message me. The cast aluminum blade is in great shape, 22" long, and fits a 3/8" shaft.

260321055_4609027132549705_1611509428467290403_n.jpg

260634399_7201710289854016_8946652791235803592_n.jpg

IMG_2352.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2355.JPG

IMG_2357.JPG

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2359.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2

• Russ Huber changed the title to Russell Electric/Ballentine/International Circulator?
50 minutes ago, Stan Adams said:

Bill Fanum has an International with a wooden blade.

Never heard of an St. Louis International with a Chicago Ballentine motor. Doesn't make any sense. I bet Bill's motor is a GE. 

My bet the fan minus the guard is Russell Electric. The blade is a dead ringer for Russell Electric. 

The cast iron base with heavy duty counter pedestal would look great with black wrinkle and Fresh model 17-26 mounted on it. 

image (4).jpg

image (5).jpg

image (7).jpg

image (3).jpg

image (2).jpg

image.jpg

image (1).jpg

image (6).jpg

Thank you. I had a gut feeling you come through. I wonder if the above are their first introduction models? If so, they were outsourcing their motors/blades from Chicago.

Now I am royally pi$$ed off. I am not sure what is wrong with the motor as the rotor shaft turns freely until energized. Then the shaft freezes and the motor growls.  If it requires a rewind, not good.

There is another image on the old website of that international countertop model with a name cast into the base. Arlington.......?  Lawrence Smith posted the image and I can't pin it down.

International Pedestal Fan for Sale - Buy-Sell-Trade - Antique Fan Collectors Association - AFCA Forums

Information on International brand fans - Post-1950 (Vintage) - Antique Fan Collectors Association - AFCA Forums

image (1).jpeg

Edited by Russ Huber

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 11:56 PM, Russ Huber said:

Now I am royally pi$$ed off. I am not sure what is wrong with the motor as the rotor shaft turns freely until energized. Then the shaft freezes and the motor growls.  If it requires a rewind, not good.

That just means the stator is pulling the rotor against it by virtue of the bearings being wallowed out in one way or another.

Russ, I have a full pedestal like your motor and blade. My cage is different with no id. badge. I will get pictures tomorrow. My front cover is beat up. It seems to run ok with only one speed. 

10 hours ago, Stephen Chew said:

Russ, I have a full pedestal like your motor and blade. My cage is different with no id. badge. I will get pictures tomorrow. My front cover is beat up. It seems to run ok with only one speed. 

Would love to see it. Thanks.

Stephen, Thanks for the pictures. Your pedestal is not an International tagged model. Yours is a Russell Electric Co. circulator.  International of St. Louis must have outsourced their circulator components for a period of time (37 circa) from Russell Electric Co.  Earle Ballentine (motor patent holder) was VP at Russell Electric.

The blade on the Russell Electric circulator images below is on backwards. The motor and frame design is identical to mine.

Gaylord Electric - Russell Electric - Fresh'ND-Aire Co. 1934 to 2001 - Pre-1950 (Antique) - Antique Fan Collectors Association - AFCA Forums

unnamed (4).png

unnamed (3).png

unnamed (2).png

unnamed (1).png

unnamed.png

• Like 1

Thanks to Mike Kearns, and the advertisement he kindly posted, I know that the circulator I have is legit. I will not only save this circulator, but I will restore it to its original state to anyone who can provide the correct Ballentine motor for it. All you have to pay is what I put into it. Not labor, what I put into it. I have connections with a powder coater who also sand blasts very reasonable. I won't ship, but I will do some travel with gas refills at your expense. You must get it from there. This is the only International circulator style model with Balletine/Russell Electric Co. components I am aware of.

Edited by Russ Huber

I found a counter top model Russell Electric years ago up in Upper Michigan.  Unfortunately, it was sold and waiting for the buyer to come pick it up.

Your guard does not pass for International, but a ringer for Russell Electric Co. product.

2031220283_unnamed(4).png.fbe6890594b5f97e050df93ea586037f.png

Ped.thumb.jpeg.f15136ac56ede8ec2217ab923729768a.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

I found a counter top model Russell Electric years ago up in Upper Michigan.  Unfortunately, it was sold and waiting for the buyer to come pick it up.

Your guard does not pass for International, but a ringer for Russell Electric Co. product.

2031220283_unnamed(4).png.fbe6890594b5f97e050df93ea586037f.png

Ped.thumb.jpeg.f15136ac56ede8ec2217ab923729768a.jpeg

I have the short base and the blade.  I've wondered for the longest time what fan it belonged to.  Thank you.