Emerson 79646-AX Wiring Question

Adam Pitts

Hello,

So this is a newbie question, but here it goes. I'm trying to figure out where the two power cord wires attach on this Emerson 79646-AX I'm working on.

A couple of questions:

1. Is this one of the non-capacitor models that does not have the "sardine can" capacitor seen in other Emersons?

2. When I add a new power cord, where does it connect? As you can see from the photos, one of the headwires is soldered onto the switchplate and the other is hanging loose.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

20220821_082747.jpg

20220821_083048.jpg

20220821_083352.jpg

51 minutes ago, Lawrence Smith said:

what does the tag say ? amp draw, if it is non capacitor fan then power cord goes to the loose wire & the brass nut under the switch

Hi Lawrence,

Here is a photo of the tag:

20220821_083715.jpg

14 hours ago, Lawrence Smith said:

Non cap fan , hook it up like I said, do you have an ohm meter ?

Thanks, Lawrence. Yes, I do have an ohm meter (or a multimeter, to be exact).

13 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

It is a shaded 6 pole motor. Self starting. You can get creative with that one. The base is cast aluminum.

E11.jpg

E5.jpg

E2.jpg

E4.jpg

E3.jpg

E9.jpg

E8.jpg

Love the two-toned look of the brushed aluminum. The japanned finish on mine is still in pretty good shape, though, so I will probably keep it original.

also  if your speed coil is bad you can direct wire the 2 wires going to the motor , if you get good ohm readings from these most likely the motor is good.

1 hour ago, Lawrence Smith said:

also  if your speed coil is bad you can direct wire the 2 wires going to the motor , if you get good ohm readings from these most likely the motor is good.

He is right. If the coil is bad, the high-speed setting should go if the motor is good. I wasn't suggesting you should modify your example. Yours does have very good original enamel. Mine didn't. 🙂

• 5 weeks later...

I'm finally getting close to being finished with this project. After connecting all the wiring, it runs fine on all three speeds.

I am a bit concerned, however. When it's plugged in, running or not, and I run my fingers across the motor housing or the cover that hides the oscillator, I'm getting a barely perceptible buzzing sensation in my fingertips - not uncomfortable at all, but like running your fingers across a freshly washed dinner plate. I don't know a better way to describe it. When I unplug it, it goes completely away. Could this indicate an electrical leak somewhere? Does it have something to do with it being a non-capacitor model?

20220917_132011.jpg

Electrical leakage.  Could be from the stator windings to housing. 

First thing to try is reversing the plug in the wall receptacle.  If that works, and it eliminates the "buzz" Put a polarized plug on it.