Menominee staghorn problems

Dan Graves

I have a friend that very recently got a staghorn fan that is supposed to have been restored. When he got the fan it runs very slow and puts out hardly no air. He tells me the blade spins freely and can see no faulty wiring issues.  Anybody know what we can check?

Brush's, brush tension would be first check. Then commutator cleanliness. After gets to be anything. I had one that had a bad spot on the commutator.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the fan that has the problem. I checked brush tension and it is fine and has new brushes but is extremely slow.  Just got my hands on it. I will be taking it apart to inspect further.  Is it possible during mail that oil could get on  commutator and that would cause slowness? When I pulled brushes it seemed there could have been oil on them.  

menom1.jpg

menom2.jpg

Thank you Chris.  This fan was videoed running perfect and then shipped. Now this problem.  I have tried running without oscillator  hooked up.  Checked brush tension and it is fine. Spin down is OK, now I will clean commentator and brushes in case oil is present. Then follow your instruction from there. Again thanks.