My first antique fan

Ken McClead

You have a VERY nice example that started production in 1931.  You have the sweet 6 pole motor with a top end of roughly 1150 RPM, and 2 more lower speeds perfect for bedtime. The finish on that fan looks like you could make it come alive with some cleaning, polish, and buff. Enjoy your toy.

The more common 4 pole 12" models of that time period (29646/73646) on full current cooked at roughly 1550 RPM. Even the lowest speed setting on the 4 pole models couldn't get slow enough to match your sweet 1150 RPM high speed.

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Thanks 1

Ken

You found a dandy of a fan for your collection and, as Russ states, there is nothing better than a six wing six pole fan for a good daily runner.  Congratulations.   

Mel

You outbid me on that one! Congrats! You got a very nice looking fan!  Glad it went to a fellow member. Looks like that fan will clean up pretty well. I did a post a while back on paint preservation. Give it a read as that fan looked like it retained a good amount of the factory finish. 

Lots of knowledge in this community on helping you with your Emerson. They are a joy to work on and a bigger joy to run!

I got the fan home yesterday and began an electrical overview of it today.  One of the head wires was broken at the motor side and was sticking out of the motor with bare wire strands showing.  Also, the cord was spliced as some point with a newer cord.  I removed the stator and speed switch/choke coil assemblies from the fan and took pictures of both parts.  Is there certain resistance measurements I should be getting for the stator?  Thanks to everyone that made the disassembly process painless.

20220828_154619.jpg

20220828_154606.jpg

20220828_154516.jpg

20220828_154455.jpg

Take readings on your 3 pairs of head wires. If you add the lowest two readings, should equal the highest reading.  Follow the following diagram and that will tell you how to wire it to the switch assembly (follow the top diagram for the 29646 as your 71666 is the same).

Screenshot_20220110-211447.thumb.png.cc119c03432a6027f7339dfa2abb624d.png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Patrick Ray said:

Take readings on your 3 pairs of head wires. If you add the lowest two readings, should equal the highest reading.  Follow the following diagram and that will tell you how to wire it to the switch assembly (follow the top diagram for the 29646 as your 71666 is the same).

Screenshot_20220110-211447.thumb.png.cc119c03432a6027f7339dfa2abb624d.png

I read 22.1 ohms on B to C, 35.8 ohms on A to B, and 57.5 ohms on A to C.  Do these values seem good?  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Ken McClead said:

I read 22.1 ohms on B to C, 35.8 ohms on A to B, and 57.5 ohms on A to C.  Do these values seem good?  Thanks!

Looks good!