Need info on Westinghouse nichrome speed control

Gene Camp

Hello, 

I have a 10 inch Westinghouse Style 457678. It has, what I now understand to be, a nichrome wound speed control.

The control didn't work when I got the fan. I found the winding on the control bad (had a break and very burned looking).

I was able to measure the diameter and number of wraps and in my ignorance rewound it with copper magnet wire which I now know does me no good.

So, the motor has a two lead wire and reads 40 ohms, and runs good. Can I rewind the speed control with some other sort of resistance wire? 

And, what ohm readings would I look for between the speeds?

Any info could help, thanks.

IMG_6118.JPG

IMG_6121.JPG

Cheap as chips, Nichrome is all over ebay in a variety of gauges, mainly used for vape machines these days. One spool will last you a very long time for about 6$.

image.jpeg.dfe8c5575cef911c7278f692556156c2.jpeg

17 hours ago, Bill Dunlap said:

I'd like to know what kind of insulation could take the heat of this wire. This wire just smokes if there is anything on it at all.

Nomex up to 700F is what I used with sucess by several members. The use of fiberglass thread would be good for 1000F if so desired.

Thread on the old forum in reference to the sucessful use of it. http://afcaforum.com/forum1/64370.html

• Like 1

Thank you Tony

In reading the old thread I noticed you mentioned 30AWG,  7 ohms per foot. 

Would that be a good wire size for my project? My concern is not knowing the ohm readings between speeds.

I definitely don't want to damage the motor. I counted the wraps when removing the old wire, so I should be able to go from there.

Yes 6.6 ohms rings a bell.  Although I myself have yet to have any time to work on any of my own nichrome projects.

This was a shelfed idea I had sometime before Jan had the need, intent for myself  . Jan's need made me make it reality.

Originally purchased for a 16 3 speed Westinghouse DC tank nichrome switch. This was original size to my 16 inch tank.

With that said I think it can handle your 10 inch Westinghouse. Other than asking for someone to give you readings from a good like fan. 

The wrap counts should be good.

Best of luck fixing your Westy.

Edited by Tony Clayton

I use fiberglass cloth on the plates the wire is wrapped around and It works great. I'm not sure about any flexible insulation over the wire itself that would work. In any case, I've wrapped a number of speed coils for a variety of fans, ie. Northwinds and Marellis. I set up an experiment on these and just use an alligator clip on the wire and move it around until I get the desired speeds. Then wrap the selected lengths.

Cheers,

Bill