First post. Westinghouse 516873

Val Sledz

Sorry Mark Olson!  I found this forum after you telling me and doing some digging.   The old forum is what comes up when your doing a search for westinghouse fan issues.

Details:

Westinghouse 516873

I got the fan for $40 because someone else "tried to fix it" and could not.  It surprisingly is complete.  Although a lot of the screw were loose and could tell he tried to remove the stator previously.  I'll attach some photos but I did not think to take any until I already had it disassembled.  The stator leads were broken off nearly flush.  I may have 1/8" to work with.  I'll probably have other questions but i'll start with the most pressing.

What resistance should that stator have?  is 16.6 even close?  And is it safe to clean this stator with mineral spirits?

Thanks,

Val

image.jpeg

IMG_20220830_185040.jpg

IMG_20220830_185109.jpg

IMG_20220830_185124.jpg

IMG_20220829_181558.jpg

IMG_20220830_184738.jpg

Most people use mineral spirits or the spray electrical cleaner.I had a blade chipped on the end like that and used JB weld,built it up then sanded it in.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp.   Once the grime was washed off the resistance went to 0.  The area right by where the head wires broke off, that area no long had any enameling on it.  Resistance of the stator went from 16 to 0.  Might be why the head wires looked melted/burnt.

Think I'm going to give rewinding the stator a try.  Odds are I'll mess up a bit, but you learn by trying.  So why not.

Anyone have a good supplier (any better than amazon?)  Temco wire? +  cheap $50 coil winder.   But what insulation paper?  Nomex 410 is all over ebay, but not sure that is the correct stuff to get.  And if so what thickness?

Been reading guides and watching videos all week.  Pretty sure I'm capable of this.  (hopefully)