Need some help disassembling Eck Hurricane 12" Oscillator

Jim Humphrey

Jim, it's been several years since I've worked on one, but here are some pictures of the disassembled fan. I believe the worm gear screws on the shaft.

Screenshot_20211103-100820.png

Screenshot_20211103-100905.png

Thanks Ron, your Eck has a commutator and brushes, while mine (older or younger, I don't know, 12") has a rotor and stator.  However, that doesn't mean that mine wouldn't unscrew from the rotor shaft.  I cleaned it up a bit more today, hoping to find a set screw or something, but ran out of time.  Thanks again, Ron.  Jim

Keep in mind the blades spin opposite directions on the AC and DC Eck Hurricanes. This means your worm (if it unscrews and if there is no set screw) should unscrew in the opposite direction of Ron's. Keeping in mind that the AC Hurricane spins CCW, the worm needs to be left-hand threaded in order to stay tight. If there is a set screw or pin, the worm could be threaded on either way. My guess is that there is no set screw or pin for the worm, which means the worm is going to be left-hand threaded.

Once again, I learn how pitiful my knowledge of fans really is!  This is an AC 220V fan and does indeed rotate CCW.  I'm going to have to figure out how to hold the worm in place while turning the rotor all the while avoiding any damage.  Initially I'm going to assume that there is no set screw/pin, so I can put some significant force into turning the rotor, but need to avoid dinging up the brass worm.  Truthfully, I can strip the fan without removing basically anything, but it'd sure be easier if I can get it disassembled.  Thanks for the help Noah!  Jim

Jim, I'm not certain but I think the worm gear might be slotted on the back end. I seem to remember putting a flat head screwdriver in from the rear of the oscillator housing and being able to back it off by holding the rotor in place.

Disclaimer: I've never worked on a Hurricane, so the advice I give on it is not fact. I'm just providing the best educated speculation I can from the information I can see. That said, if it was my fan, I'd go ahead and assume the worm is left-hand threaded, as long as there is no pin or set screw holding it on. However, I'm not 100% sure I'm right, so please don't do anything that will hurt the fan if it turns out it is not left hand threaded.

Edited by Noah Britt

Hey guys, I just needed someone to hold my hand!  You guys  were right, and after chipping away grease that had hardened to the strength of regular driveway cement, I finally found two cutouts in the outer rim of the worm.  After backing out the rear housing as far as it goes, I got a small set of vice grips on the rotor shaft between the back of the rotor and the front of the rear housing.  It was like it was designed for the purpose.  Two or three half-a-grunt twists on the screwdriver and the worm started unscrewing from the shaft.  Righty loosey, lefty tighty.  Thanks guys!  Jim

• Like 1