Paint

Jim Roadt

Base and housing painted with filler primer one day dry time.  Both wet sanded, cleaned and acetoned.  Both painted with duplicolor Black met ( same can ) same number of coats .  Both painted today upper 60s low humidity. Any ideas what happened? 

The base is the result I would like

Thanks20220904_115337.thumb.jpg.13dfeba973fe5dd30f6d6414dbbe1f51.jpg

Edited by Jim Roadt
Correction

Really? That looks like two completely different colors. I would put them both in the oven for a half hour at no more than 200 degrees. If water vapor is the cause, that will purge it.

• Like 1

Several things.. Combination of letting the first coat dry too long along with the humidity..I don’t let my first coat drive more than 2 minutes tops before applying the second, The third the fourth the fifth and so on until it looks like it’s going to run constantly keeping everything moving and don’t stop in front of a fan blowing dry dry air.. Krylon is the most forgiving but rust oleum ultra high gloss is the shiniest but not quite as forgiving.. never use a primer you may get a reaction.. If you do put it in the oven never go past 145°.. Sheet metal is more forgiving than cast-iron in the oven.. The safest thing is to not put it in the oven but wait three days.. Just set it aside and don’t think about it for three days.. There I told you my secret.. If done right it will look like you sent it out and had it powder coated professionally.. Also probably not a good idea to go over five coats,until you get the knack of it.sometimes to cover a cast-iron blemishes you will need to go more.. everything will be OK to handle after three days drying time in a dark room..

D5B1C387-D607-4994-A1A3-94243488F854.jpeg

Edited by David A Cherry
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, David A Cherry said:

Several things.. Combination of letting the first coat dry too long along with the humidity..I don’t let my first coat drive more than 2 minutes tops before applying the second, The third the fourth the fifth and so on until it looks like it’s going to run constantly keeping everything moving and don’t stop in front of a fan blowing dry dry air.. Krylon is the most forgiving but rust oleum ultra high gloss is the shiniest but not quite as forgiving.. never use a primer you may get a reaction.. If you do put it in the oven never go past 145°.. Sheet metal is more forgiving than cast-iron in the oven.. The safest thing is to not put it in the oven but wait three days.. Just set it aside and don’t think about it for three days.. There I told you my secret.. If done right it will look like you sent it out and had it powder coated professionally.. Also probably not a good idea to go over five coats,until you get the knack of it.sometimes to cover a cast-iron blemishes you will need to go more.. everything will be OK to handle after three days drying time in a dark room..

D5B1C387-D607-4994-A1A3-94243488F854.jpeg

Agreed. Mastering the art of multiple even coats the first time without runs with rattle can is the ticket. I have come back on rattle can finish over a week past the first application (couple of coats) to have it lift and bubble up. Nothing more irritating than having to strip it all back down to bare metal and start over.

A little clarification is in order. Dupli-color Perfect Match is an acrylic lacquer. That means that multiple coats are possible within minutes. Also, as a lacquer, it is prone to hazing as a result of too much humidity in the air. I think, but not 100% sure, that the change in color in the two pieces above could be the result of hazing, or blushing of the paint due to the humidity, in which case the moisture can be purged. It may only need to be put into the light of the mid day sun to correct this.

Cheers,

Bill

18 hours ago, Bill Dunlap said:

A little clarification is in order. Dupli-color Perfect Match is an acrylic lacquer. That means that multiple coats are possible within minutes. Also, as a lacquer, it is prone to hazing as a result of too much humidity in the air. I think, but not 100% sure, that the change in color in the two pieces above could be the result of hazing, or blushing of the paint due to the humidity, in which case the moisture can be purged. It may only need to be put into the light of the mid day sun to correct this.

Cheers,

Bill

Was definitely hazing 

Rubbed down with acetone and took the haze off.

Will strip down and try again in a few days and keep all coats on within 10 minutes 20220905_092408.thumb.jpg.2fe1fed4aac1b5471c4b74619fc034d7.jpg

1 hour ago, Jim Roadt said:

Was definitely hazing 

Rubbed down with acetone and took the haze off.

Will strip down and try again in a few days and keep all coats on within 10 minutes 

Maybe you can just fine sand it without stripping it down and recoat it? As it's a lacquer you should be ok with a recoat. That might make you need less coats on top so it will dry faster and make the humidity less likely to cause hazing.

A hand rubbed lacquer finish is like that. Do a coat, wait a while (sometimes just minutes) rub the finish with fine sandpaper, do another coat. Repeat until the finish is smooth as glass. This is an old school technique that is fast disappearing. But, the results just cannot be duplicated by any other technique that I'm aware of. Back in the 50's and 60's all the custom cars and bikes were hand rubbed lacquer. Unfortunately, lacquer is the least durable of all the paint types, and none of those masterpieces have survived intact from those days. But for fans, it's not a problem since it's the UV light from the sun that quickly degrades the paint.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

....I have Patients.... but not much patience , therefore, I already stripped it down to the dentin and will give it another try 

Thanks for all the help

Repainted and still had some hazing, however, buffed off with micro cloth ( nothing on it ) and haze was gone.  Cloth looked perfect when completed( no paint or anything on cloth)  No idea what happened but very happy with the aged new look.

May wait a few more days and try some very fine polish

Now to decide on replicating pinstripes or leave it .  There were some original stripes on it for a guide20220906_200544.thumb.jpg.9f6a2ce5ddb29a46d5e805eb2e2782e7.jpg20220906_200737.thumb.jpg.1549fe368ea0ea86b7fe23bfa8b7b0ba.jpg

• Like 1