Dented Trojan

Jim Roadt

Small dents not that noticeable until I started polishing. 

Is pounding them out with a similar dent shaped object the best method20211102_185910.thumb.jpg.af8ebd17a23a4429d36c4438b74c3fea.jpg

Reversing damage such as this takes time and talent. I wish it were as simple as describing the technique. It is basic "body work", in that you must "read" the dent, and work from the reverse of what seemed to cause it. Work from the least distorted metal toward the most deformed part. What you do not want to do is stretch the metal. Hammers, dollies, shot bags, and such are very desirable tools for this. Easy does it. Do not rush. If the dent starts to wrinkle, or otherwise get out of hand, you may need to re evaluate your tooling and technique. Heat and freezing may help massage the last bit (Hint: freon or other cold gas/fluid). Good luck!

I had several dents on my all brass Trojan I just polished up. I used the butt end of a screwdriver to drive them out. If you are looking at polishing it up afterwards, the trick is to get it all pushed out, no low spots (even if it means making a high spot) then sand it smooth. I start with 600 grit and knock it down all smooth. Then progressively sand finer and finer. I stop around 2000 grit. Then buff it all out.