Who's speed controller is best?

Lexie Kensington

So -

I have my 1919 Emerson 45641 Long Nose CF running very nicely. Its quicker that I like even on low speed. Who's speed controller works best with these shaded pole motors? Notice I didn't say cheapest; I said best-- meaning long service life, and damned slow.

Do folks add capacitors to slow these down? what values? and in series or parallel ? I just cant remember....

Thank in advance-

Cheers

Lexie-

Edited by Lexie Kensington

The KBWC-15K is a popular choice and works well on Longnoses.  These tend to be among the quieter motors when using this controller.

I'll experiment with capacitors in certain circumstances, like when I need a motor to run as quiet as possible (bedroom), or if it runs noisily with a KBWC-15K.  I had this issue with a PSC Roundnose in my bedroom.  It moaned and groaned with a KB, but a series-connected 15uF capacitor gave it a pleasant and silent Low speed.  I just capped the Low tap for the speed coil in the nose by the Levolier.  I also used a capacitor on a six-bladed 32" Longnose I have mounted above my entry, also 15uF.  I did this because the fan has a 6" light fitter, and just one circuit.  I didn't want the light to dim when I dialed down the speed.  Factory low was a speedy 200 RPM, the new low is about 120 RPM and silent.

2 hours ago, Derek Warnecke said:

The KBWC-15K is a popular choice and works well on Longnoses.  These tend to be among the quieter motors when using this controller.

I'll experiment with capacitors in certain circumstances, like when I need a motor to run as quiet as possible (bedroom), or if it runs noisily with a KBWC-15K.  I had this issue with a PSC Roundnose in my bedroom.  It moaned and groaned with a KB, but a series-connected 15uF capacitor gave it a pleasant and silent Low speed.  I just capped the Low tap for the speed coil in the nose by the Levolier.  I also used a capacitor on a six-bladed 32" Longnose I have mounted above my entry, also 15uF.  I did this because the fan has a 6" light fitter, and just one circuit.  I didn't want the light to dim when I dialed down the speed.  Factory low was a speedy 200 RPM, the new low is about 120 RPM and silent.

Do you mean like a 15 microfarad run cap in a can? That sounds quite simple. And Thanks for the quick replay. This would be good news as I just picked up a six blade Emerson long nose "Hotel" fan. No lamps tho- 

Cheers Lexie-