Felt color for 1921 Form W GE AUU fan?

Steve Stephens

I would like to get back to the original base felt color on my 1921 GE AUU Form W 12" fan.   Does anyone have a photo of an early 1920s GE fan with the original felt?   Is it a medium dark green?  The fabric on the base now is not correct and an old replacement.  The fourth photo is of a minty all original GE AOU from 1930 but was GE using the same felt color 10 years after my fan was made?   The fifth & sixth photos are of a felt base pan from an all original 1926 Form AE and I am thinking that might be pretty close.  The last photo is a 1925 AOU with cast base and stamped steel motor, another completely original fan I had.

This (first three photos) is a very smooth running fan that I have been using some lately with our record breaking heat we are having (110 yesterday, 106 today which was our previous high over 45 years living here).   Thanks for any info you can help me with.

IMG_5887.JPG

IMG_5888.JPG

IMG_7073.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

CIMG4138.JPG

CIMG4141.JPG

IMG_3806.JPG

I'm afraid this reply might muddy rather than clarify the matter, but no one else has jumped in, so I will...

image.png.7d4e6b273af7d8aa949240d0c2beb90e.png

image.thumb.png.cf931ff73994f360aac4c71e9dd01eae.png

image.thumb.png.670259040f1f57e50b9bc6e64f0ea5ac.png

The first three photos are of a green 75423 Form AB Serial #D44400. I can't vouch for the cloth cover being original, but believe I've observed others with this sort of corduroy-like fabric... again, not to cause confusion, but I had taken it for granted that GE installed this particular product. I can not find any vintage images to support one way or another... Whatever else can be said of it, the fan is definitely one year later production than yours...

image.thumb.png.298567c895466aacc8ccd0b9e31bdca8.png

image.thumb.png.816c7d510cf950ef42a27d5d72469f8c.png

image.thumb.png.a3d385bdf314d2cafddaca38bc924e1f.png

The second three are of a 34017 Form AD1 #G32143 with the remains of the original felt, small portions of which are still vividly colored I'd judge. If this serves your purpose in any way, what I should do is photograph it outdoors tomorrow with day lighting as opposed to the poorly illuminated snaps I just took... it would provide the best and truest representation of the actual shade of green perhaps? Since you are seeking felt, this is about the best help I can offer...

Whether they actually provided a corduroy/canvas sort of cloth-covered base for a brief period is a question for another thread. I have no fan labelled Form W; the one possible or likely Form W I have is unusual (in part for not having Form designation), but carries the six rubber feet in any event...  

Thanks Steve.   I"ve seen a corduroy looking "felt" on a few fans' bases but think it is a replacement for the felt.    I may remove the base pan from my Form AB that I recovered the base.   When I recover I sometimes leave a small portion of the old (originial?) felt inside the base.   Your very degraded green felt seems to match what I have seen so I may go with a dark green felt I have.

Working on a GE AK1/AOU 75425.

Didn’t like the Hunter or Kelly green feltsI found locally, but did find an Evergreen that matched the original color well.  
Matter of taste, just my preference.  

I had some Hunter green around from some custom boxes I was doing.  Pic shows the difference.  

Link to Joann’s fabrics:   https://www.joann.com/20pct-wool-felt/6750897.html

01BD3DEA-4E4E-419A-9701-608484A9B060.jpeg

Yuck.  Felt bases get nasty, and their plates get gross and rusty.  I will never understand why manufacturers thought that they were an improvement somehow over rubber feet.