1898 Pancake at the bottom of Lake Superior

David Kilnapp

Good morning fan friends:  My daughter forwarded me this link:

https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/news/haunting-video-shows-perfectly-preserved-wreck-of-classic-steamship-gunilda--2065?fbclid=IwAR3iwpxGDaLmvpDsd2tpeI0mV71TvBhA89UWedpPY1Mxub-xR2TJlylSnKc

If you look closely at the 3.30 and 5:43 minute marks of the video you will see this:

Image1.thumb.jpg.266e9088919b9626d599aa421e00a8b8.jpg

The shipwreck is dated to 1911 so I'm guessing that the fan in this picture is an 1898 pancake. It's perfectly preserved due to the absence of oxygen at that depth. Amazing!

The article says the ship was built in Scotland, so the fan is likely European. The blades appear to have two rivets each, and I counted nine S-wires. Open ring cage, 4 pizza wing blades, 3 struts, and if I had to make a choice, I'd say the blades turn CW.

Edited by Noah Britt
nuna yer bidness

To me, the base looks different than either the 1902 Lundell or the 1905 Sprague in the galleries, but otherwise, it looks just like both of them. The base looks to me to have kind of a Jandus C-frame look. Maybe I'm looking at the base wrong.

Regular:

image.png.8388b43168ee58ccd7c8d54d725247d4.png

Increased brightness and contrast:

image.png.b6fba58345e6e66da6fe2629921ad336.png

9 wire pierced ring guard Sprague Lundell. Find another 9 wire guard fan motor in the likeness of the fan preserved in the bottom of Superior with earlier large open ring. Go to it Noah!

Lundell00.v1.jpg

On 11/4/2021 at 10:12 AM, Russ Huber said:

Lundell.

I agree. I think there is something in front of (or behind) the left side of the base messing with how I see it.

At first I thought Marelli Auretta, but the s-wires are a little different.

Edited by Noah Britt