Emerson Electric 78646 UPDATE Bit the bullet….

John Landstrom

I’m not at all familiar with any fans besides the one GE I’m trying to refurbish.  
So, here goes another “Can anyone identify this fan” post.

Long story short I saw this at a local antiques store today.  It was curious enough for me to take a few pics and inquire here.

It appears to be a wall mount model, probably 12” blades.  Didn’t bring my tape measure.   It’s pretty heavy and would need the 4 bolt holes on the base to hold it securely. 

Curious if it’s worth returning for a second look and bid….assuming I can get them to plug in the 8-10 ft damaged cord that’s attached to it.  They’re asking $60 for it.  Never seen this mount before, nor lifted such a heavy fan for its size.  

Anyone?   

C60417BD-5E1D-4352-94A6-9192ED668D9D.jpeg

5324225E-70D9-4101-B5CE-F963585B2F3A.jpeg

Edited by John Landstrom
  • Like 1

I'd say the price is a good gamble. The stators are unique to these fans. I have one with a bad stator. Not really worth the price of a rewind, but I'm going to be experimenting with other Emerson stators to get this one up and running. 

Good info Patrick.   I’ll bring a spare cord and try and talk ‘em into letting me power it up.  If not I’ll be using that info to bargain.  

11 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

Wall mount fan often used in ships. I would be all over it for that price. Not rare, but not a lot out there either.

Was curious why it was battleship gray.  

I have never seen one that color, my guess is it was on a decommissioned ship & they painted everything. All of the originals I have seen are black. 

Stan,

Good to know.   Battleship gray is kinda boring.  Black might be okay, but then again I could just be creative and use any color scheme I dream up.  Make it a 15 pound decorator item for someone’s man cave or snazzy shop.  

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Levi Mevis said:

I didn't realize ships used 110V AC Current? 🤔

Good point Levi.  Don’t have a clue either.  

On 9/18/2022 at 8:39 PM, Levi Mevis said:

I didn't realize ships used 110V AC Current? 🤔

Almost all naval war ships by WW-2 were AC current. The Bofors 40MM AA guns seen on nearly all ships after 1943 are all 480 volt three phase. Most ships were 480 volt 3 phase with stepdown transformers for 110 volt AC. All of the gun directors & FC computers were AC to take advantage of synchrous motors. Radios & radar were also AC. Only the older ships like the TEXAS (the ship I volunteer on) were DC & there were documents found to convert it to AC. Due to its age, it never happened. Therefore, there are motor generators scattered all over the ship converting that 120 volt DC to various voltages of AC power. One item I found interesting is there is a 110 volt AC receptacle in every officers stateroom. The only fire control instruments on the TEXAS not AC powered were the 1914 range & deflection indicators in plot & in each gun house. They were never upgraded & have a repeater to show if they have gotten out of sync.

• Like 2

• John Landstrom changed the title to Emerson Electric 78646 UPDATE Bit the bullet….

His all,   
So I went back to the antique store today and the fan was still there.  Plugged it in (with its very frayed cord) and it ran fine.   Two speeds via the toggle switch, and very quiet.  
Needless to say I bought it after offering $50 which was accepted.  

It now adorns my workbench awaiting my fumbling attempts to understand its workings.   
I successfully got the cage off without removing the blade, which didn’t want to budge after removing the front nut.  
So, I’ll be searching the old site for any research documents/schematics etc.  Don’t know the year of manufacture but I’m hoping to find some model number data for the motor tag, then move on to drawings, etc if they’re available.

Anyone happen to have a link on hand for that stuff?   Would save me days of searching.

thanks all

Once I find the YOM I’d like to move this post to the correct forum.  Is that possible.

The secret on those blades is lock the rotor with a screwdriver or such being careful to avoid the stator. Put penetrating oil in the set screw hole & twist the blade. With the rotor locked, it should come off. 
One thing I forgot to mention, my 78 series also has a nut in front of the blade so the blade can’t come off. My 79 series does not.

i can’t read that little number on the bottom right of the tag, but looks like 17. Whatever the number, add 20 to it. 17 + 20 = 37

I’m assuming the administrators have to get involved, but I’ll be asking them to move this post to the appropriate forum - pre-1950.  Can’t find a way to move it myself.  

Stan, 

Thanks for that, but I’m still trying to figure it out.

I’ve put some penetrating oil on the front threaded shaft (and the recess around it).    Big question to start with is “Is the fan blade a separate piece, or is permanently fixed to the larger piece behind it?”   Second question is “There seems to be a slight ‘slot type’ hole right next to the shaft.  It appears to either be a manufacturing defect or a place for a small “key” or “shim” however it’s empty as far as I can tell.  Also, there’s no corresponding slot n the threaded shaft that is typical for a “key”.  The fan isn’t budging.  

More questions….

I’ve removed the nuts from the 4 threaded motor shafts.   The threads at the ends are a little buggered but I think they may be 10-32 threaded rods.   I’d like to replace them eventually but I don’t know what they thread into inside the motor.  (Back cap for the motor?)

Typical of the navy there is a heavy coat of battleship gray paint over everything.  I have used a plastic pick to scrape around the edge of the front cap to remove the dust/grease buildup and found what appears to be black paint underneath, maybe part of the original finish because the gray paint came off easily.   
There is an opening on the front cover that appears to be for inserting a screwdriver to help pop the front cover loose.   I’ve been reading all the posts I can find on the old site and found on cautioning how that’s done to avoid damaging the stator.   

Right now I’m at an impasse.   I’m thinking the only way to get the blade off is to remove the front cover/rotor/blade as an assembly and once free try to figure out a way to tap the shaft out.   

4272847C-5817-47BF-B093-410445F0DAE2.jpeg

OK, I went up & looked at mine tonight. I have never had the blade off as the fan is in mint condition, but I do not see a set screw. It appears that nut is what holds the blade hub on. You may try to wedge a large screwdriver or chisel between the front bearing housing & hub to see if that will make it slide off. Strangely my 79046 ship fan uses a set screw without the nut.

Your fan was repainted at some time after the war as no ships were grey inside & all of the fans on TEXAS are black.