GE 75425 date help

Jason Sliver

Hello everyone

I recently acquired a GE 75425 and I am trying to find a rough year that is was manufactured.  It is a type "AOU" with a form number of "MK1" and number"M130994" and a spec number of "272227"  It has aluminum blades and is dark evergreen color.  The fan runs great and most of the original finish is all there.  I was reading on some of the information on old forum sites that GE produced the model over several decades with the aluminum blades towards the end of production, so maybe mid 1930's?  I'm also pretty sure that the housings are stamped and not cast. 

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.1422ccd3e24073da76c75c302a7b2167.jpgthumbnail.thumb.jpg.47ee9ae27ae149455776b93ad3cbffab.jpgthumbnail.thumb.jpg.90e1564df729e13b92c020ccdbf48c2b.jpgthumbnail.thumb.jpg.8ced373a878f2f0e6abeb6508e61174d.jpgthumbnail.thumb.jpg.e36ff2e6504554cce842bd5694aafe42.jpg

It's circa 1930. Not earlier, possibly '31, but you said "rough year"... All your description and assumptions/conclusions are good, excepting Form AK1 which, looking at a keyboard, is probably a mis-stroke, not a mis-stake.

In this new Forum John Landstrom has been posting about these same AK 16-inch fans a couple months now...

Edited by Steve Rockwell
  • Like 1

Your Form AK is 1930, first year for aluminum blades replacing brass.   A few AK fans had green painted brass blades but probably early on and using up the older brass blades.   I'll post some photos of a near mint and all original 12" Form AK AOU that I had.   The 12 and 16" GEs were all cast iron construction until 1925 when the motor became stamped steel then, in 1927, the base also became stamped steel.   My Form AK was almost too nice to sell but I needed fewer fans and I like cast iron construction.  The cords and molded rubber plug are factory original as is the bottom felt.

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

Edited by Steve Stephens
  • Like 1

WOW!  That is a nice looking fan, Steve.  Thanks for posting the pics.   I know I need to replace both the head wire and and the power cord and I'll use those pictures for reference.  Just curious, Is there a paint color out there that comes really close to matching the original?  The finish on the fan body is 95% all there and I was able to clean a little up with some polish and wax, but I would like to repaint the blade.  

Thanks

Jason, I can't help you on the paint color NAME that would be a match but others often post what they use.  Since I have never painted a fan I have not gotten into paints.  GE used about three or so different shades/colors of green maybe trying to match from a photo or from a fan with original paint might work.  You may be able to have Tony Clayton make you some matching cords for your fan.  He does custom wiring.  See this article-  https://afcaforum.com/forum1/56789.html

Edited by Steve Stephens

Jason,

Nice find.  Still working on mine.  
Feel free to post here or message me and I’ll tell you what I’ve learned so far from the knowledge folks here.  

Happy to see you have what appears to be an aluminum blade which from the sources here is correct for the AK1.  Mine had a Century brass blade on it and it took me a long while to find a correct aluminum one.  Plus your gearbox looks to be intact.  What a blessing.  

Best paint color match I was told about was Rustoleum Charleston Green. It’s almost a black green. I’d been on the search for it for quite some time and finally found a few cans about a month ago.   The Rusto folks stopped making it a long while ago and aren’t planning on making another run for the foreseeable future due to “supply” issues.  There are a few people here who may have a old can around.  Message me for more info on that and a possible source. 

if you’re interested in replacing the felt you’ll find a reply with pic to a recent post regarding a GE fan resto.   Do a quick search here and I’m sure you’ll find it.  If not message me and I’ll look it up on my end.   

I was new to fans and this site until this year when I found an AK1 that had been in storage for about 20 years.  Forgot I even had it.   This place is great, as is the old site.  Just be patient as the search function on both is a little limited/cumbersome.  I still have a lot to learn but the folks here are more than happy to help.  Need parts?   There are a few businesses and individuals listed here on the site in posts, but being you have the same fan I may be able to help you out too.  I have some hanging around.  

when/if you desire to replace the wicks in the oilers they’re 3/16” and available easily online, but it would help support the folks here if you purchase from the businesses and individuals that support the folks here.  They’re invaluable at times.  

john

Hi John

Thanks for the reply!  I myself am new here  - I joined the AFCA earlier this year.  You were correct - It does have an aluminum blade.  I like to think the previous owner(s) took pretty good care of it, because it looks like it might have been over oiled because there is oil/grease residue all over the body.  I was able to replace the wicks with new ones and I was able to polish up the brass hardware on my pedestal buffer.  My dilemma is that the majority of the paint on the motor body and base is mostly intact, the blade and cage not so much.  I have been able to polish and wax the body it and the finish comes back after some elbow grease.  I do like the idea of keeping the original finish on the body, but the blade and cage is a different story.  I am toying with the idea of stripping the blade and polishing the aluminum or repainting the blade to make it closer to original.  My fear is that if If I repaint the blade and cage, the rest will not match and then Ill be forced to paint the whole thing.  I'm currently working on replacing the felt bottom.  I do have some felt left over from an old wood toolbox restore I did last year.  Its a little thicker than the original, but the color seems to match.  

I definitively do try to do my part to support the vendors who advertise in the club and the magazine.  They do have some excellent products.  I may take you up on your offer for the paint supplier.  I should know later this week or next depending on my work schedule and how much time I can put in put in to the fan.  I'll post some pics of when it is done.

Thanks 

Jason

Just starting to paint some of the small parts on my fan.   I do have a few spare parts I can shoot, even though rain is predicted for the next few days which will delay my painting of the actual fan parts I intend to use.  
I’ll post pics for you to compare to your fan for color match.  

Thanks John,   I think I have decided I will paint the fan.  The blade and the motor housing have a few more bare metal spots than I like.  I'll PM you for paint suppliers for the old Charleston Green color