Found this Westinghouse Model 162628 at the side of the road.

David Pope

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and AFCA community because I found this beautiful fan at the side of the road.  After a bit of searing online and finding some posts in this forum, I learned there's a whole group of fan fans who restore them.  Now I'm hooked, and can't wait to get it running.  I figured it would be a fun project to restore and get working again.  Below is a bunch of pics to show what I got and what I've done so far.

image.thumb.jpeg.a434dc8ee355cee91d97dce0eb72a12a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8bb53875fb5783f90e5389dd1f36f1cd.jpeg

I've already started dismantling it.  It's in great shape and nearly complete, but it's missing the starter coil/switch module and 2 brass acorn nuts. 

As you can see I have the bottom plate but no coil/switch.  😞 Any idea where I could get one?  Only the base and base plate have a lot of rust on it.

image.thumb.jpeg.5f3c7501237ace682a3ea4b17f82fe44.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.59edda02528d631526441f612641056c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.047c32de0fddf98b9dde044ae986cb7b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.85ab318b9c0ce2103c73af778b1658fd.jpeg

The fan blades were a little bent, but I think they're good now.  We'll see once it's up and running.

image.thumb.jpeg.601c4ac9239a3ac0c29bee151f3180c5.jpeg

I was able to remove the stator within about 10min by gently tapping it out through the four bolt holes.  I've read that they can be a real pain, but mine wasn't that bad.  

The Stator windings measure 23 ohms, which I hope is a good sign that it's functional. Again, just needs a bit of cleaning by the look of it.  I bought some Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner to help me clean it up.

image.thumb.jpeg.096e81d503ac5ea0780d2736846f0181.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.20b20448526b079842ecaf9b2d5c2036.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.45903b92a5c86032f5f7bbffa40d76da.jpeg

Even the wires are in pretty good shape.

image.thumb.jpeg.941dedf3de8a562c15fb3deb5b28429b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c0998e4bded76c5b672983d42340f4cb.jpeg

The "W" on the back is a little crooked and sticks out a bit on the one side.

image.thumb.jpeg.1c5d4bfa1417c90956ad2e6caf1f2a93.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bcd66c87fe9a355ec0075ecd03979937.jpeg

I have a few questions since I haven't restored an old fan before.

- I was thinking of getting the motor housing, base, and base plate sand blasted so I can get a really nice paint finish on it.  Is that a good idea?  I'd like to make it look new.

- Does anyone have a speed coil/switch assembly and two brass 6-32 slotted acorn nuts for this model for sale? Westinghouse 162628

- Does 23 ohms sound like a good reading for the stator? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated from the fan masters. 🙂 

Cheers,

Dave

image.jpeg

If you are restoring a fan, I would be sure that everything works before you start a restoration. You can have it sand blasted and painted, but if it does not work properly, then you have a problem. The ohm reading is probably ok. Did the fan work before you took it apart?

Oh the rear motor plate I see gold around the "W" badge.  If so that is brass and one of the early stamped steel Westys.  The brass bearing carriers were soon replaced with pot metal.   Mine is brass but I would not ruin the originality by polishing the brass to give the fan "bling", something I detest.

On the back of a blade hub finger should be a date stamp showing when the fan was made or year model.

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

• Like 1

David,

Best advice I can offer on restoring this fan is to throw back on the curb far far away and run away as fast as possible. Probably best to move to a new state also just to be safe. 

You may think this is just a fun project and it’ll be a great little tiny hobby. You are about to light a flame that will engulf your soul and bank account. You’ll probably have to find a new wife and maybe even adopt new kids who will accept your new lifestyle. Get out while you can, burn that fan and pretend you never found this place!!!!!

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Ben Guegain said:

David,

Best advice I can offer on restoring this fan is to throw back on the curb far far away and run away as fast as possible. Probably best to move to a new state also just to be safe. 

You may think this is just a fun project and it’ll be a great little tiny hobby. You are about to light a flame that will engulf your soul and bank account. You’ll probably have to find a new wife and maybe even adopt new kids who will accept your new lifestyle. Get out while you can, burn that fan and pretend you never found this place!!!!!

ROTFLMAO 

Ben is not trying to scare you,  but what he is saying is all so spot on.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, David Pope said:

I'm new to the forum and AFCA community because I found this beautiful fan at the side of the road. 

Consider Ben’s comment above carefully.   If it’s not been lost or stolen (might ask the local precinct), then whomever tossed it may very well been someone who didn’t want to get hooked; or was hooked and was returning home from therapy after a relapse.   
Don’t worry though, I’m sure someone on this site will be willing to help you avoid the habit.   

Also, it may have been hitchhiking after being abandoned.  In which case it’s definitely evil.  Trying to find another victim.  
Follow Ben’s advice.  Run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

At least try to see if you can get a switch for it and get the motor working again the fan looks to be in good shape you don’t have to necessarily completely restore it at least try to get the electrical components working again 

Edited by Quentin Malzahn
  • Like 1

I love the sense of humor in this forum but as was said, this hobby is extremely addictive.

You can probably find the replacement slotted hex nuts at www.antiquefanparts.com. Most of the stamped steel Westys I have worked on had steel acorn nuts (not brass). I have some extra steel slotted hex nuts if you want them. PM me and I'll send them to you for free.

Stamped steel fans are among the most difficult fans to work on for a number of reasons, not the least of which is stator removal, which you managed to do (congrats). You should also be aware that the front and rear bearings do not float (unlike most GE fans of that period) so getting the front cover on so that the front and rear bearings are perfectly aligned so that the rotor spindle doesn't bind up can be challenging. The best way to do this is to put the front cover on loosely with the blade on and slowly tighten the acorn nuts all the while checking that the rotor spins freely. 

I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the pot metal nose from the front cover. Any attempt to pry it off after removing the screws on the inside of the front cover will fracture pot metal which gets brittle with age. Sand blasting or bead blasting pot metal is probably not a good idea.

As to Steve's comment regarding polishing the brass to give it some bling is a practice that is hotly debated. Some like polished and lacquered brass and some don't. It's really just a matter of personal preference. My preference leans on the polished brass but I certainly like the patina'd look of tarnished brass on an old fan. I have restored over 200 fans (it IS addictive) and I prefer to retain the original paint (particularly if it is japanne) if at all possible. Nicks and chips are part of the fan's history and don't detract from its appearance IMHO. Not a big fan of rust though!

Welcome to the AFCA. Nice people here and very helpful and friendly too.

PM me if you want the steel hex nuts. Attached is a picture of a similar fan that I found early in my collecting career.

450506016_AfterWesty2.thumb.JPG.0e05a6bede124c5f98f18f46af305e65.JPG1670711930_AfterWesty1.thumb.JPG.4046fdc9026ab7e3fb6fe849c097cf25.JPG

IMG_2419.thumb.JPG.483e7ebf7a24c2f181637fef6311edb5.JPG

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Thanks 1

David, I kind of liked the rust and patina on my 1906 DC Westy tank.   It ended up being more than I wanted to deal with and a bit rough looking so now it lives in a collection where it will be loved.   It took me a lot of time to get all of the rusty screws loose and removing but I did with no damage to any of them.  I never tried to get the fan to run which was my first idea.  Note the cast hub blade.

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

• Like 1

So much great advice and info, thanks everyone!  Love the humor!  I swear it's just going to be this one time...  Which is why I joined the club and forum...

I think I'm going to at least repaint to cleanup the rust.  As for the brass, I'm undecided.  I love the polished look, but I also like the unpolished look.  I did put some polish on the motor plate already and just wiped it off with a cloth.  It got rid of the grime and brightened it up a bit, but not super shiny.  I might just do that.

Cheers,

Dave

On 9/13/2022 at 5:04 PM, Steve Sherwood said:

If you are restoring a fan, I would be sure that everything works before you start a restoration. You can have it sand blasted and painted, but if it does not work properly, then you have a problem. The ohm reading is probably ok. Did the fan work before you took it apart?

Thanks Steve,

I didn't try the fan since I didn't have the switch and the acorn nuts were all loose, so I didn't spend the time getting everything perfectly aligned to give it a shot.  I may just save the surprise until the end.  😝

On 9/13/2022 at 6:10 PM, Steve Stephens said:

Oh the rear motor plate I see gold around the "W" badge.  If so that is brass and one of the early stamped steel Westys.  The brass bearing carriers were soon replaced with pot metal.   Mine is brass but I would not ruin the originality by polishing the brass to give the fan "bling", something I detest.

On the back of a blade hub finger should be a date stamp showing when the fan was made or year model.

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

It is a brass motor plate and the number on the back of the blade is 12, so I assume it's a 1912

On 9/14/2022 at 9:14 AM, Quentin Malzahn said:

At least try to see if you can get a switch for it and get the motor working again the fan looks to be in good shape you don’t have to necessarily completely restore it at least try to get the electrical components working again 

I will!  Already replied to Anthony Lindsey.

On 9/13/2022 at 8:36 PM, John Landstrom said:

Consider Ben’s comment above carefully.   If it’s not been lost or stolen (might ask the local precinct), then whomever tossed it may very well been someone who didn’t want to get hooked; or was hooked and was returning home from therapy after a relapse.   
Don’t worry though, I’m sure someone on this site will be willing to help you avoid the habit.   

Also, it may have been hitchhiking after being abandoned.  In which case it’s definitely evil.  Trying to find another victim.  
Follow Ben’s advice.  Run.

I know 100% that it's not stolen or anything as I went to the house it was in front of to ask if they happen to know where the switch etc was.  Despite the homeowner not being impressed that I rang their doorbell.  He said "what you see is what you get, that's it, no more".  Ha!  I brought my wife for backup so it wasn't just a weird bearded guy. 🙂

On 9/14/2022 at 9:44 AM, David Kilnapp said:

I love the sense of humor in this forum but as was said, this hobby is extremely addictive.

You can probably find the replacement slotted hex nuts at www.antiquefanparts.com. Most of the stamped steel Westys I have worked on had steel acorn nuts (not brass). I have some extra steel slotted hex nuts if you want them. PM me and I'll send them to you for free.

Stamped steel fans are among the most difficult fans to work on for a number of reasons, not the least of which is stator removal, which you managed to do (congrats). You should also be aware that the front and rear bearings do not float (unlike most GE fans of that period) so getting the front cover on so that the front and rear bearings are perfectly aligned so that the rotor spindle doesn't bind up can be challenging. The best way to do this is to put the front cover on loosely with the blade on and slowly tighten the acorn nuts all the while checking that the rotor spins freely. 

I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the pot metal nose from the front cover. Any attempt to pry it off after removing the screws on the inside of the front cover will fracture pot metal which gets brittle with age. Sand blasting or bead blasting pot metal is probably not a good idea.

As to Steve's comment regarding polishing the brass to give it some bling is a practice that is hotly debated. Some like polished and lacquered brass and some don't. It's really just a matter of personal preference. My preference leans on the polished brass but I certainly like the patina'd look of tarnished brass on an old fan. I have restored over 200 fans (it IS addictive) and I prefer to retain the original paint (particularly if it is japanne) if at all possible. Nicks and chips are part of the fan's history and don't detract from its appearance IMHO. Not a big fan of rust though!

Welcome to the AFCA. Nice people here and very helpful and friendly too.

PM me if you want the steel hex nuts. Attached is a picture of a similar fan that I found early in my collecting career.

450506016_AfterWesty2.thumb.JPG.0e05a6bede124c5f98f18f46af305e65.JPG1670711930_AfterWesty1.thumb.JPG.4046fdc9026ab7e3fb6fe849c097cf25.JPG

IMG_2419.thumb.JPG.483e7ebf7a24c2f181637fef6311edb5.JPG

Thanks so much David.  I think I'll pickup some brass nuts from the store for now and hunt down the correct ones later.

1 hour ago, David Pope said:

Thanks so much David.  I think I'll pickup some brass nuts from the store for now and hunt down the correct ones later.

Hardware store acorn nuts will be totally inadequate or wrong size or won't fit for your fan.   You can, instead, buy regular nuts to work temporarily but not acorn nuts.

Edited by Steve Stephens

Thanks for the tip Steve.  Maybe that's why there were a couple of regular nuts on it already. 🙂

On 9/15/2022 at 10:04 PM, Steve Stephens said:

Hardware store acorn nuts will be totally inadequate or wrong size or won't fit for your fan.   You can, instead, buy regular nuts to work temporarily but not acorn nuts.