Sprague GE AOU

Anthony Lindsey

Picked this up.  Actually runs on all 3 speeds.    Cage is brass but front ring is steel which is sort of odd.  Did they run out of brass rings and put a steel one on it to keep production moving?  Brass shortage?  They had enough brass for the rest of the cage.

20220912_192515.jpg

20220912_192524.jpg

20220912_192551.jpg

Regarding the brass ring on a steel cage, during WWI with the brass shortage some strange things happened and many factories including GE used what they had on hand.  Your Sprague looks to be from 1919, maybe 1918?   I had a very nice original 12" Sprague AOU Form V brass bell oscillator from 1920 which, when I bought it, I thought was black but, carrying it to my car in the sun I could see it was a VERY dark green.

Thanks for the info Russ!

It's form S1.    So 16-18 according to the form year sheet.    It has a knurled knob on the bottom of the oscillator instead of a star.   I assume that was a replacement.

The Lundell IC/Sprague DC fan motors sported pizza wings 1892-1916. 1917 was the first introduction of the rounded wing tip Sprague DC models. NO 12' OR 16" AC MODELS AS LATE AS 16. 

IN 1917 ONLY, THE ENTIRE SPRAGUE DC DESK FAN MOTOR WAS PAINTED BLACK. The 17 guard was now constructed of steel.

GREEN ENAMEL 1919-20 ONLY.

9" Sprague models hit the market in 16, it appears.

Edited by Russ Huber

Surprise Surprise.....    steel blade painted gold.

Also appears the cage was painted green which I assume covered up mismatch metals.

20220916_085857.jpg

20220919_112153.jpg

I came across an 9 “ R&M stick fan with an open cast brushed motor.. The back ring of the cage was steel while the rest was all brass.. I thought that was very odd.. so Sprague was not the only one..

WW1 material needs would explain Anthony's example. The R&M home fan with a gloss black steel rear guard stock painted black with brass wires I think would look cool. 🙂

14 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

WW1 material needs would explain Anthony's example. The R&M home fan with a gloss black steel rear guard stock painted black with brass wires I think would look cool. 🙂

I never realized that it was a two Tone fan.. I regret selling it but ..now I really regret selling it.. probably will never see another.. An interesting little story ..that fan was with another fan at an antique mall, They were asking $45 for the R&M and $65 for the little rusty zero..  This is not the first time I’ve seen a cheap fan selling for more than an expensive rare one.. 

1 hour ago, David A Cherry said:

An interesting little story ..that fan was with another fan at an antique mall, they were asking $45 for the R&M and $65 for the little rusty zero.

How far back did you make that purchase?

58 minutes ago, Steve Rockwell said:

Until 1910, when they first offered a 12-inch 6-wing slow-speed fan, WESTINGHOUSE called their 8-inch version the Residence Fan.....

image.thumb.png.9999e8ba517e32c4eef5b46072e313ea.png

res·i·dence

noun

1. a person's home; the place where someone lives.

18 hours ago, David A Cherry said:

I never realized that it was a two Tone fan.. I regret selling it but ..now I really regret selling it.. probably will never see another.. An interesting little story ..that fan was with another fan at an antique mall, They were asking $45 for the R&M and $65 for the little rusty zero..  This is not the first time I’ve seen a cheap fan selling for more than an expensive rare one.. 

I remember a time when Dick Boswell showed up at one of the Ozark regional meets within the past 12 years, having stopped at an antique store in Iowa on the way down. They had two fans up on a shelf priced at I believe $25.00 each. One was a Bersted Zero brand, the other, an Emerson. He decided on the Emerson and I believe  procured a discount at check-out. He opened the trunk of the car & pulled the fan out to show us... PI 241 dirty but complete.

The reason I questioned David how far back he made his purchase is antique dealer/vendor awareness. Back in the early part of the turn of this century I could go to an antique store/auction and pick up an average brass fan for as low as $30.00.  Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.” 

Years ago, I went into a small antique shop in a one-horse town. As I walked in to the very small shop I immediately spotted an early complete GE cake on a shelf.  On the floor beside it was a Deco styled Stancor pedestal fan. The dealer had $75.00 on the cake, and $160.00 on the Stancor pedestal fan. He wouldn't bend on the price for the pedestal fan as he was adamant it was worth it based on the Art Deco styling.  he did however offer to come down on the GE cake $25.00.  Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.”