Looking for GE TALENT! lol

Paul Alexander

Seriously! I have a GE Loop handle 12-inch that was given to me. (Type AOU I think?) It is the cast Iron model not the pressed model. The problem is this, the fan was running, but when the wire going into the motor was moved it would quit running. I got the stator out and one of the four wires was broken. I assume that was the reason for the fan shorting out? There is no way I can identify the correct wire to reconnect. The head wire into the base had 2-wires not connected with wire nuts on them and the other two were connected to the switch. Okay, this is the question, If I boxed it up without the cage and blade, would anyone here be interested in putting it back together for me? I like the fan, it is the old green color and the blades are great! I just don't have the knowledge and experience that it needs to bring it back to life. 

Mark, Here are some pictures.  The last picture shows the cluster of 4-wires into the stator. Someone has obviously been inside the fan (note the wire markers on the switch). Also the only wires connected to the switch were labeled #1 & 3. The remaining 2-wires had wire nuts on them inside the base. 

Thanks,

Paul

P1230575.JPG

P1230574.JPG

P1230573.JPG

P1230572.JPG

P1230571.JPG

Since your fan has a shaded pole motor, and the speed is controlled through a choke coil in the base of the fan, the head wire should only be a two conductor cable.

So, If I could pull the wires through the stator, I can then just use two wires and re-solder them? Any suggestions on how to pull the wires through? I used some pliers and they will not budge? Since the wires are not long enough now, I think i will need to solder them where they split  off to the windings? Any suggestions? 

I see that there are four keepers that are placed between the ends of the poles.  If you can carefully remove the one where the wires go in to the stator, it might allow more access to the wires to splice the new head wires to the stator coils.  See attached picture.

20220922_181039.jpg

No need to remove the keepers. I’ve done many of these. 

Use a heat gun to temporarily soften the old wiring on the opposite side where the connections are wrapped in friction tape, then use a pliers to crush the old electrical tape and it will just peel off. 

Reheat as needed to keep the wiring pliable.  Cut the old headwire off where it’s connected to the stator wires. Once the old headwire is disconnected from the stator, use a needle nose pliers to pull out one conductor at a time from the part that goes through the stator to the other side.  When the conductors are gone, remove the jacket with the needle nose. 

Remove all remnants of the old headwire from the channel and gently blow it out with compressed air.  Now you’re ready to properly install a new headwire. 

Tony Clayton makes good headwire that will slip right through that wiring channel.  

Best success!

Edited by Lane Shirey
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 4:04 PM, Paul Alexander said:

Seriously! I have a GE Loop handle 12-inch that was given to me. (Type AOU I think?) It is the cast Iron model not the pressed model. The problem is this, the fan was running, but when the wire going into the motor was moved it would quit running. I got the stator out and one of the four wires was broken. I assume that was the reason for the fan shorting out? There is no way I can identify the correct wire to reconnect. The head wire into the base had 2-wires not connected with wire nuts on them and the other two were connected to the switch. Okay, this is the question, If I boxed it up without the cage and blade, would anyone here be interested in putting it back together for me? I like the fan, it is the old green color and the blades are great! I just don't have the knowledge and experience that it needs to bring it back to life. 

I sorta had this happen to me and it resulted in my breaker being blown, and the fan going KABOOM