Six pole Pancake motor

Kim Frank

The 1899 12 inch stickmount pancake type UI form F5 is a six pole motor and is single speed. It doesn't use a choke coil. As far as I knew, that model and year was the only fan to feature that in the Pancake era. We had some discussions on the old forum about a six pole Pancake stator that I found which was 1-1/2 inch thick, which would have fit any of the very early 12 inch football tag motors or any of the 14 inch fans. No research showed any of those fans having a six pole stator. While at Chad's meet earlier this year, David Yurko sold me this fan, a 1901 Stump made by British Thomson Huston Co. LTD London. It is a type AB form A just like GE's models, but is 200/220 volts 100 cycles and has two speeds. Switch has a porcelain cover like other BTH cakes I've had. S/n of 79982 falls in the 1901 production, SPEC #  20503. It has a six pole stator and as best I can research, it was made for the British East Africa market. An interesting fan....Still trying to figure out the other six pole stator, which is 104 volts 60 cycles.

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

Edited by Kim Frank
  • Like 2

Hey Kim,

1 hour ago, Kim Frank said:

Stump made by British Thomson Huston Co. LTD London

You'll recall I don't know much about Pancakes... You advised me back when, with my having this penchant for residence fans, to keep an eye out for the 1899 F5. All in all, that's a very interesting unit you acquired. The BTH information reminded me of something I have tucked away, excerpted here:

image.png.c3008fa0d91bb940ef0c2939b91aa01f.png

Considering the other foreign-badged Pancakes for which we've found pics, and considering the bottom line on the tag, do you not believe this fan to have been shipped overseas same as those mentioned in the memo?

Interesting memo Steve. I do believe that the BTH was shipped abroad for a market where they used that voltage/cycles. I think that your memo sheds some light as to when the first GE fans with the new GE logo badge were available. I recently read about a study GE did, trying to determine who exactly designed the monogram. They never did make the determination, though several people made the claim. I have an 1899 type UI form F4 with the CGE cage badge with the strap soldered to it that clips over the center hub. It might have been in that shipment to Petersboro, Ont.