Help with blade restoration/service?

Ryan Brescoe

Hello all,

Although I'm no longer a full member I'm still playing with fans. I am wondering if anyone offers full blade restoration services for $. I have a few brass blades I'd like restored. (Century S3 16", GE BMY 12", Century S3 12", GE 3-star 16", GE SMY 6-wing 12") to name a few. I don't necessarily care about finish as I can deal with this myself. I just hate vibration and would like them perfectly balanced. 

Additionally, I own a mill and lathe, have access to laser cutting machines at work, and am a pretty resourceful dude. Would anyone who is accomplished at this be willing to share their methods. For example, if actually replacing the blades:

1) What alloy of brass do you use for the replacements

2) What kind of rivets, source?

3) How do you set the rivets? Crimp-type tool? What kind?

4) Besides the pitch created by the center spider component, there is also a longitudinal curvature to most blades. I assume the originals were stamped. How do you duplicate this without stamping?

I appreciate any and all help!

Regards,

Ryan

Hello Ryan,

I’m in the process of restoring my first fan, a 1905 GE Pancake 12”.

23 hours ago, Ryan Brescoe said:

1) What alloy of brass do you use for the replacements

1) No idea, maybe Paul Graves can chime in here. He makes reproduction wings. I do know that the sheet brass gauge/thickness on wings changed throughout the years on pancakes. Mid 1903 is one known change, coinciding with the change from cast to stamped hub.

2) What kind of rivets, source?

2) I too would really like to know this answer. I’m guessing that rivets from back in the day don’t meet any standards that have developed since then. So if you buy off the shelf rivets today, you’ll likely have to drill out your holes and go the next size up to get a proper fit. If you have a lathe you could always make your own out of brass stock. 

3) How do you set the rivets? Crimp-type tool? What kind?

3) The rivets on my pancake were solid brass, not hollow/pressed. A rivet gun and bucking bar will be needed for a matching replacement (lots of info on YouTube, also aircraft manufacturing and maintenance use lots of solid rivets so I suggest those communities for their riveting expertise.) You might even be able to head to your local small airport, find an aircraft mechanic, and have him rivet the wings for you. Riveting is definitely a skill. The aviation community is generally very welcoming.

4) Besides the pitch created by the center spider component, there is also a longitudinal curvature to most blades. I assume the originals were stamped. How do you duplicate this without stamping?

4) I use an English wheel. The blades on my fan were pretty damaged including bends, wrinkles, and creases. I have been successful at wheeling them back into shape, including the curvature. This is my setup:9505D0CB-0E11-4A4C-A6FC-BA4EC2B76D80.thumb.jpeg.69293a820f18e16bd80b7e5036f77adb.jpeg

It works great. Definitely takes some practice to get the desired shape. I found a 5” radius lower anvil works best. This is a very old metal shaping technique. Again, lots of YouTube videos on using an English wheel.

Good luck!

oh and a shameless plug to my “looking for” post: