Rewired motor won't work--30 hours wasted!

Aaron Gillette

This is for a BLDC motor, four coils, from a 1930 GE fan. I can't get this to work. I don't know which way the coils are wound--I tried putting in the coils so that the leads from each coil  alternate direction compared to the next coil  and tried all leads on one side. In each case, I tried connecting them in series, but also connecting opposite coils and bridging between the coils. All coils work separately, when energized separately. I removed the coils from the stator, and tested each for resistance. I found that three coils are at 4.7 ohms; one is 3.1 ohms (I don't know why, it tested out before at 4.7 ohms). When they are all on the stator, they vary from about 1.4 ohms to 7.5 ohms. Connecting the positive and negative leads to the speed control makes no difference. Current flows in all configurations, and has  a resistance of about 14 ohms. Using a magnet, the coils opposite each other have the same polarity, and the coils next to them have the opposite polarity. Researching this, it all seems to say that it will only work with a switch using the hall effect. But there are no such switches in  these motors--I figured the armature somehow is set up to act as this switch, with the little copper and tin bands on alternating coils. Also, I should mention, as I energize each coil on the stator, the rotor jumps to it.  The rotor won't move  in that state.

I did not put all of this in the motor housing--I figured I would notice the torque holding holding and wiggling the rotor.

I have been using about 3 volts and 1.5 amps direct current.

I am sure I have spent 30 hours messing with it, and it won't even turn the slightest, and I've tried everything I can think of. At least point, unless I can figure out what is going on, I am just going to junk it, and mourn the waste of three days.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Aaron Gillette said:

...BLDC motor, four coils, from a 1930 GE fan.

Screenshot_20221002-180347_Chrome.thumb.jpg.df95f38943aabc3ce8af70c9b67f0693.jpg

BLDC...  1930 GE fan...

Really?  wondering.gif.f7f01aebdf9123475e7a477107dd31a9.gif

Screenshot_20221002-180520_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3eb36beb62763fb9c3f13b9166046314.jpg

Edited by Jim Kovar