Wiring diagram/Help - GE AK1/AOU 75425 3-speed control and power wires

John Landstrom

Finishing up my first attempt at refurbishing the 1930 AK1 I found in one of my old moving boxes.  Unknowingly had it for over 20 years.  Completely forgot I had it.  
Anyway, disassembled, cleaned, most parts found, painting finished and almost ready to reassemble.   
I’m pretty sure I have the mechanics down.  Previously made sure the motor was running but still have to solder the stater wires to the new wire I bought.  Also have to attach the vintage style 3-wire power cord to the 2-prong vintage style plug I bought, as well as wire them all to the speed control.

Couple/few questions….  Pic below depicts how the wires were attached when I took it apart.

1.  There are two wires attached to the stater (obviously).  One went to the negative power terminal and the other went to the front of the speed control where indicated.  (Best as I can tell from the photos I took back when I took it apart).   Does it matter which wire  goes where?

2.  The ground wire from the replacement cord that was on it went to the central post as depicted.   They had put an old Hubbard plug on the cord and cut the off the ground post, turning it into a two wire system.   Why?  Haven’t a clue.   I’ve seen some debate here (or the old site) regarding the need for a ground wire.  The vintage style plug I have is a 2-prong plug.   Is there any good reason to buy a 3-prong vintage style plug, or just snip off the ground wire at each end when I rewire the fan?

3.  The new vintage style 18ga power cord is pretty, but darn thick  3/8”.  Doubt I could neatly tie a granny knot inside the base effectively.   Was thinking of using a zip tie inside to prevent pullout but was wondering what others here have used….or did you just have a huge granny knot inside?  

Oh, while testing I noticed that the speed control goes from OFF to HIGH then to Med and Low.   Why in the name of Power Rangers did they do that?   Why didn’t it start Low and work it’s was up to High?    It’s like having your gas pedal start at full power and down to less power as you press it.   Beyond my feeble brain.   

DCA52FCA-9E11-41E7-AA77-FA83E211E7C0.jpeg

Edited by John Landstrom

Answers:

1: It does not matter which wire goes where

2: The fan did not have a ground when new, and the placement of a ground as shown is incorrect

3: A zip tie is fine. I usually "whip" the cord with waxed string

4: Fans start on high speed because it is less stressful on the motor to start on full power (you could just switch it to low on start)

• Like 1

Thanks Mark !

I was hoping for those answers.

I’ll just wire it up and ignore the color coding I have in place for positive and negative on the stater wires.  
**Wondering if the plug can go in either way in the outlet……??

Used a small zip tie and knotted the wire for inside the plug.   Worked fine.

Nipped the ground wire at both ends.

Interesting on the start speed.  Thanks for the info.  

Edited by John Landstrom