The Fan Gifted To Edison

Russ Huber

I had a nice conversation with Loren Haroldson today. To the individual that emailed me seeking information, I sent you and email, and left a message on your cell. I can't do much for you without you responding back to me. 🙂

Levi Wing (L. J. Wing) appears to be having a rough time late 19th into turn of century. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.  Makes one wonder if Levi's attempt to grab the full attention of the DC portable fan motor market with his "Beauty" fan motor line made the 1900 fan motor season, or not?  If so, why were Levi's DC portable desk & bracket fan motors not in the rest of the prominent electrical trade journals 1900+?  Maybe someone not too far down the road took advantage of Levi's Beauty designs?

Supreme Court Case of Appeal - Google Books

electricalage25newy_0161.jpg

electricalage25newy_0269.jpg

Oct. 1900

Oct.1900.v1.jpg

Nov. 1900

WingNov.1900.v1.jpg

Mar. 1902

WingMar.02.v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

No mention of Levi Wing having a direct current PORTABLE desk fan on the market through the Powers Central directories either 1900 or 1901.  My impression, they never went to market based on the information on the post above. 

PC00.png

PC00-2.jpg

PC01.png

PC01-2.png

PC01-3.png

Years ago we had an article. It detailed a tour of Edison’s offices. I the hall was a pedestal. On it was an ornate fan, presented to Edison.

The Bayley (George W. Bayley CEO) - Lee (Joseph Lee Edison disciple and motor patent holder) Electric Co. incorporated 06.

Bayley-Lee.v1.jpg

US521799-drawings-page-1.png

unnamed.png

Edited by Russ Huber

Electrical Review - Google Books

view (3194×4393) (dcmny.org)

Joseph Lee - Edison employee/disciple. The bulb figures always present on the limited manufacture Bayley-Lee fan motors signify Edison's light bulb invention and loyal Edison engineer Joseph Lee's bulb shaped motor patent used on the Bayley-Lee fans.

Edisonreunion17.v1 (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Edison-Lee.jpg

Lee22.v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

George W. Bayley CEO of the Bayley-Lee Electric Co. established in 06 was operating a long term lighting business same time. Bayley was involved with the lighting business stemming back into the 1880s. My point is, it is as if he established the Bayley-Lee Electric Co. for a specific purpose in 06. Why would the name Bayley-"LEE" be in the company title if not for the manufacture of a something special? Think about it. 

Bayley-Lee.v1.jpg

Bayley08.v1 (1).jpg

Bayley13.v1.jpg

50 minutes ago, Kim Frank said:

I believe this is the Bayley-Lee that has the inscription of being presented to Edison. The one you pictured above is the example we have in the Museum.

Baily Lee Edison - left side.jpg

Bayley CK presentation.jpg

Bayley CK presentation 2.jpg

Both examples are product of the what appears to be the short-lived Bayley-Lee Electric Co. concern. I was messaged along with Loren Haroldson by an AFCA member to dig up information for a Fan Collector Magazine article. Loren and I have shared information over the phone on this topic. I have also been in contact by message with Steve Rockwell trying to connect the dots on this concern.

What I got lucky enough to dig up was the Joseph Lee 1894 motor patent which is a dead ringer motor for the in question 1900 Levi Wing "Beauty" fan motor examples. The Lee motor patent also fits the Bayley-Lee Electric Co. fan motor examples. 

I took time yesterday to point out a number of things posted above. Loren's information, mine, and so far Steve Rockwell's contributions cannot validate the Levi Wing "Beauty" fan motors on the market. Nor so far can it validate a connection between Levi Wing and the motor patent holder Joseph Lee. Nor can it validate a connection between Levi Wing and CEO George W. Bayley. Nor can it validate a connection with George Bayley and Joseph Lee. There is a single advertisement shared with me from the Bayley-Lee Electric Co. validating they did market these fans as there are actual examples to surface sporting the Bayley-Lee concern. There are no known examples to surface I am aware of the Levi Wing "Beauty" fan motor line.

I shared my findings here to better the knowledge of these fans. One major plus is the surfacing of Joseph Lee's motor patent posted above. another is Lee's close ties and loyalty with Thomas Edison and the direct current line of product. My thoughts are there are too many lose ends and dots yet to connect to write an in depth and factual article about the Bayley-Lee Electric Co. fans. However, that is just my opinion. 

Edited by Russ Huber

7 minutes ago, Steve Cunningham said:

The ornate fan was designed to showcase as many of Edison’s products as possible. Bulbs, fuses, sockets, etc.

Can anyone VALIDATE a DATE when Edison was presented this commemorative example?

1.png

FWIW....I did suggest to Mr. Whitfield in distant past message exchange considering going to bi-annual Fan Collector editions. This would give the management adequate time to compile a nice larger edition every 6 months without having to scratch up/scramble on a quarterly basis material to fill the magazine. My personal contributions to this organization are at their best on the forum, where I can be spontaneous with information and help. I am not the management, so I don't call the shots, I simply suggest.

Edited by Russ Huber

We know it was probably made after the Patent date of 1894. The ad date was 1900. If we can locate the date of the tour of Edison’s office, that narrows it down. When they changed the name to General Electric, it infuriated Edison. Edison walked out of the company, and sold all his stock. That date would narrow it down.

2 hours ago, Steve Cunningham said:

We know it was probably made after the Patent date of 1894. The ad date was 1900. If we can locate the date of the tour of Edison’s office, that narrows it down. When they changed the name to General Electric, it infuriated Edison. Edison walked out of the company and sold all his stock. That date would narrow it down.

LevI Wing 1900 beauty fan motor line seen only in the Electrical Age is the first to sport what appears to be the Joseph Lee motor patent. No Wing examples have surfaced that I am aware of. Nothing to support Wing ever made them, and Wing sold out his business in Nov. of 1900 because he was in debt.

The only examples that exist with what appears to be the Joseph Lee motor patent are the Bayley-Lee Electric Co. examples. The first year, and only year I see them on the market in electrical trade is 08.

The General Electric was formed in 92, well before the Bayley-Lee fan motors in 1908.  If no one has any documentation to validate when Edison was gifted the commemorative fan, that kind of takes some of the wind out of the sails.

Edited by Russ Huber

This clip from June 1900 electrical trade was recently just sent to me by Steve Rockwell. The importance of it helps greatly to solidify Wing's financial instability to manufacture the "Beauty" fan motors he advertised for the upcoming 1900 fan motor season. Thank you, Steve. 

image.thumb.png.cc290a6c68328368ff74f75deace39e1.png

Who to h ell is Joseph Lee ? Good luck coming up with connections with Lee, Wing, Edison, and George W. Bayley. I look forward to some juicy info on Mr. Lee from you, Steve. 🙂

Be it known that I, JOSEPH LEE, a subject of Her Majesty the Queen of Great Britain, and a resident of Brooklyn, in the county of Kings and State of New York, United States of America, have invented a new and useful Electric Motor, of which the following is a specification.

US521799-drawings-page-1.thumb.png.a620bde7578468c2aff2b2abcb13d437.png

Edited by Russ Huber

Lee is mentioned at the bottom of the article withe the Commonwealth Edison of Chicago. I don't think Lee did anything earth shattering in the Edison system other than design a motor that looks like a light bulb, he was an Edison disciple, and what did Edison take credit for back in 79? You got it. Lee's motor patent could be seen by the likes of L. J. Wing in 94 electrical trade. Even if Wing never got his "Beauty" fan motors on the market due to being in a financial pickle, it can't take away the credit where credit is due. Wing designed that fan using Lee's motor patent, and George W. Bayley and his fellow wallets ran with Wing's design concept. All Bayley did was include the motor designers name next to his in the company name and plopped them on the market including little cast in light bulbs(not seen on the Wing Beauty fans) in what appears to be starting in 08. Why would George Bayley name the small capitol (15,000K) incorporation in 06 The Bayley-Lee Electric Co. without that fan motor line as the goal for the incorporation? Think about it. Bayley had his other long term business concern going same time.

I would rather own a Wing example, personally. No disrespect to the Bayley-Lee fan motor owners. I have found nothing to connect Wing with Lee, nor does Wing mention Lee or Edison in his 1900 Beauty fan motor introduction in the Electrical age.

content.png

EdisonLee.v1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber