How hot does a Nichrome speed coil get?

Paul Carmody

I am trying to repair a break in the coil wire on an R+M AC/DC fan.It’s running fine after I reconnected the Nichrome wires.With the speed coil out the temp in low speed at the hottest point is 240F.I’m asking in generic terms as far as what someone has seen in any fan even DC to see what is common.I know Nichrome by design generates heat but how much?

C2ADFF37-261A-4172-86B5-F80D1CCD188D.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

I happen to have another one of these in pieces, so I hooked it up, high is like an airplane at .40 amps, but there is no separation on this one between medium and low.It appears both run medium at .34 amps highest temp is between 140 to 150F.The last one had a slow low at 250F.So I still have no guideline on low speed temp?

I went back to first coil and medium is .36 amp and low is .31 amps which seems like proper separation.I still question the heat range?

any ideas?

A93E30B9-37E8-4863-AEEC-5158A41509DE.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody

• I studied coil 2 and found that medium wire was touching low post going to the coil.It is now hooked up again.After separating wire ,low is now low at .31 amps.I sure like finding fans that no one has messed with .That’s a rare find in deed it seems.So far it’s at 215f .I will run longer tomorrow.I’ve been up all night tinkering and need some sleep.But the question remains the same.I thought I could do 2 fans but I’m not sure now?
Edited by Paul Carmody

Not trying to be a "know it all" here, but those amp numbers are surely missing the decimal point!

Otherwise, you'd be tripping circuit breakers🔥😬

4 hours ago, Mark Olson said:

Not trying to be a "know it all" here, but those amp numbers are surely missing the decimal point!

Otherwise, you'd be tripping circuit breakers🔥😬

I guess that would explain this.

7D3578C0-9C4F-4236-9B21-6C7FA99E5030.jpeg

5 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

Those coils run VERY HOT! You got a neat fan.

Thanks Stan! I feel comfortable to proceed with resto.

Edited by Paul Carmody