Kidney Box CAD

Louis Luu

Once the box is finalize, I will be offering the following metal: Stainless steel, brass, copper.  All of these will shine up nicely.  Transparent top will also be offer for those who like to watch the gears move like me.

• Like 1

Prototype is done.

20230930_103315.jpg

20230930_104207.jpg

20230930_104218.jpg

20230930_104219.jpg

20230930_104225.jpg

20230930_103304.jpg

20230930_103310.jpg

You may note that I took care to make sure the two lower gears mated at the same height and the third upper gear that sits next to the worm gear was neither too loose or too tight.  The clear top was a started by Don Tener.  I might as well make a clear lever as the plastic is really strong and scratch resistant to finger nails.  The letter has the height were it is readable and even when polish....will show up.  The originals had very little height on the fonts.  From my study of the various boxes, GE used two types of fonts.  I went with the larger fonts but made it a tad bit higher.  I also added more meat to the center where the screw holds the lid in place.  I will be ordering towards the end of the month.  These will not need machining.

Edited by Louis Luu

It has been a very long time since I have been excited.  The clear top and spoke gears is something I have been daydreaming for a very long time.  I will also be releasing the two hole version.  I will make minor modifications as I do see some rooms for improvements.  The area of focus will be thicker lip....just a tad bit on the gear box.  It is hard to believe this is coming to a close.  I am pondering on my next project...have not decided yet.

On 9/30/2023 at 7:56 PM, Louis Luu said:

It has been a very long time since I have been excited.  The clear top and spoke gears is something I have been daydreaming for a very long time.  I will also be releasing the two hole version.  I will make minor modifications as I do see some rooms for improvements.  The area of focus will be thicker lip....just a tad bit on the gear box.  It is hard to believe this is coming to a close.  I am pondering on my next project...have not decided yet.

Don’t forget the GE Sidewinder/Sidegear lever. 

30 minutes ago, Lane Shirey said:

Don’t forget the GE Sidewinder/Sidegear lever. 

I'll start putting things down in my notebook.  Thanks for the reminder.

1 hour ago, Louis Luu said:

I'll start putting things down in my notebook.  Thanks for the reminder.

For a 12” 

I finished the one hole and two hole version.  The two hole version uses a smaller ball bearings....so will need to prototype that one for printing as well.  I am planning on doing a batch ordering towards the end of November/December.  Using a different method to make these as the price will be much cheaper....CNC in both steel and brass and copper. with optional clear top.  Ordered prototyped last night and will post results when it arrives.  I do have dreams of making the brass ring....doable in CNC and cheaper.

On 9/25/2023 at 8:24 PM, Louis Luu said:

Jim Kovar....stay away from commeting....but your last post was deleted "whip it....whip it real good."😅

Yeah, I know!...

ezgif-5-7168c9ad1d.jpg.36065b9ee85a923f051578d01f05aac2.jpg

Sometimes R-R's
     get crossed.